Bachmann On30 diesel mechanical mechanism

Burkitt

I've been thinking about a second locomotive for Claverton Engineering, based on this Siemens one from the Czech Republic, scaled up a bit to suit 16.5mm gauge.

I'm wondering if the Bachmann On30 0-4-0 diesel mechanical would provide a suitable chassis and was wondering if anyone who has one could help me out by answering a few questions about it? I'm looking for the wheelbase, chassis length, height to top of motor, and width with the body off, and whether it looks like it would be possible to cut much off the ends of the chassis to make it shorter. If it would be possible to post a photo of the chassis so I can see the overall arrangement and motor position that would be great.

Of course if any of this info is already out there on the web a link to it would be very welcome.

Thanks,

Paul

I rather like the Slovenian version of it http://www.mpz.cz/files/images/siemens/Siemenska/photos/photo39.html

I've spent the last few weeks scouring the web looking for pictures of interesting narrow gauge electric locos. I'm planning to make some of them as 3-d printed models, see http://www.shapeways.com/shops/tebee?section=On30+Small+Electric+Locos+

I'm still trying to work out what to use a chassis for mine as well, it seems all the possible chassis are either very expensive or only made in limited numbers and likely to become unavailable without notice.

There are times when I miss the days of thirty years ago when most On30 locos where powered by second hand Triang motor bogies obtained from junkers at the local swapmeet for £2 each !

Tom

Paul

Wheelbase 24mm

Chassis length 73mm

Chassis width 41mm

Height from rail to the top of the diodes 36mm

These are pictures of one I have done some small modifications to, but is basically what you get with the body off,

I don't think it would be that practical to shorten the chassis by much, if anything.

file.jpg

file-1.jpg

file-2.jpg

file-3.jpg

Martin

Archived