Triang hornby "Burlington "transcontinental carriages

chev32

I bought these from a department store (Melbourne Sports Depot for those expats who remember ) about 40 years ago The were on sale and suited my limited pocket money

I assumed they were triang Hornby however the couplings are different and i have not been able to find any reference to Burlington livery anywhere could they have been a specially commissioned ?

post-7317-0-55576200-1294960730_thumb.jpg

These are the 60s series of TC passenger cars (based on Canadian prototypes AFAIK). In the late 60s, there were various TC series lettered for authentic roads for the North American market. Some were lucky enough to receive X2f couplings, rather than Tri-ang's own horror. They are quite rare.

• RMweb Premium

A number of TriAng items were sold under the AT&T brand (I think -- American Train and Track?). I remember the RDC which had NMRA couplers that fitted the tension-lock mountings. I don't recall the coaches.

I saw a couple of examples of the Rocket & coaches last weekend -- one set was in AT&T boxes but with tension-lock couplings.

AT & T was the brand I was thinking of, but couldn't remember the name. Some were possibly released as AHM? Santa Fe was another passenger livery. The usual colours were blue or the rarer green.

The freight cars were available in Canadian livery and maybe others?

According to the Pat Hammond book "The Story of Rovex vol 2" These coaches were marketed by American Train & Track Corp (ATT) and were packaged in ATT boxes. Some were later sold to Model Power and re-boxed. They were indeed fitted with NMRA "Hook Horn " couplers.

They were available with CN, Pennsylvania, Burlington and Santa Fe labels and are quite rare.

Some were sent to Australia and re-packed in Triang-Hornby boxes about 1970 which corresponds with your purchase.

Hope this helps.

Colin.

Archived