NCE Powercab questions

pauln

Hi all,

I've just treated myself to a (second hand) NCE Power Cab controller to replace a Hornby Elite. On first use it is looking to be an excellent purchase and much easier to use and hold than the Elite. Hopefully somebody can answer a couple of questions for me please.

There is a socket on the UTP circuit board that the track wires go into. All I have is the bit that's soldered to the board. Presumably there should be a little connector (female to go into the male pins on the board) that the track wires are attached to - otherwise I don't see how they stay in the socket. If there should be a connector does anybody know where I can get one from please as it isn't in the box.

Secondly I do like the idea of programming some macros to switch a route rather than switch individual points. Is there a clever way to ensure that the 1 or 2 for route or normal is always correct (I assume the easy way is to set all points to normal at the start of a session?)

Thanks for any advice.

Paul

Hi Paul - in answer to your first question, yes there should be a moulded plastic 2 connection plug (mine is green) with 2 screw terminals for your track wires and I think your best bet for a replacement is to give Bromsgrove Models - one of the RMWeb sponsors -a quick call as I know they market the PowerCab

For the second question the route/normal option can be influenced by how you have wired your point motor - on most you simply swap over the wires to reverse mode of operation - so the 'clever' way is simply to ensure you wire up your switch motors all the same.

For the second question the route/normal option can be influenced by how you have wired your point motor - on most you simply swap over the wires to reverse mode of operation - so the 'clever' way is simply to ensure you wire up your switch motors all the same.

This holds good if the point motors are located centrally under the basboard but if, like me, you are using surface mounted point motors, then the way you wire the motors is also dependent opon which side of the point the motor is sited. If there are two left hand points and the motors are on different sides, then they will be wired differently in order to make them respond in the same manner to a given command.

Thanks for your replies. I have left a message on Bromsgrove's answerphone and waiting a reply. I shall then prepare myself for some under baseboard fiddling with wires. Luckily the LS150s are mounted vertically on a post so this should be relatively easy.

Thanks again

Paul

but if, like me, you are using surface mounted point motors, then the way you wire the motors is also dependent opon which side of the point the motor is sited.

Didn't give that a thought, so used to fitting motors under the board - thanks

When you set a macro you can simply try it out and then if required reverse the direction (Normal/reverse) of one set of switches so that it points the direction you want it to within the macro. Trial and error is often required to get the motors to fire the right direction as previously pointed out it depends on how you have installed the point motors

When you set a macro you can simply try it out and then if required reverse the direction (Normal/reverse) of one set of switches so that it points the direction you want it to within the macro. Trial and error is often required to get the motors to fire the right direction as previously pointed out it depends on how you have installed the point motors

Thanks. Trial and error has been the task of my day off work on Monday. I've now noted which ones fire which way - almost all work "backwards". As you say it doesn't really matter for macros but it does for firing individual points so this weekend I shall set them all up the same.

I must say I really like the Powercab compared to the Hornby Elite and I've already invested and installed the USB interface which seems to be more robust than the Hornby too.

And finally a quick plug for Bromsgrove - I rang on Monday lunchtime and on Tuesday morning a spare connector for the track wires and the USB interface dropped onto the mat. Top service.

Archived