At what point should a credit card be charged?

gordon s

I've ordered some bits and bobs from a well known retailer, who emailed me on the 5th January to tell me they were awaiting some more stock from their suppliers. Checking my credit card statement this morning, I was surprised to see £33.20 had been taken from my card already.

I thought your card shouldn't be charged until the point of despatch when the invoice was raised.

Not a big deal, but I don't see why I should be funding their cash flow. I have emailed them to ask the question, but appreciate knowing the trading laws on when a card should be charged.

Guest dilbert

A bit cheeky - it could be that there are further delays with outstanding items and that the debit covers a part of your order and has been despatched - the rest of the order to be finalised upon reception of outstanding items...

After the last set of issues I had with my credit card, I only pay by PayPal now - this is useful, as the retailer makes a request for a transfer of funds and in the request you see what is going to be sent... no surprises...dilbert

A bit cheeky - it could be that there are further delays with outstanding items and that the debit covers a part of your order and has been despatched - the rest of the order to be finalised upon reception of outstanding items...

After the last set of issues I had with my credit card, I only pay by PayPal now - this is useful, as the retailer makes a request for a transfer of funds and in the request you see what is going to be sent... no surprises...dilbert

No, it's the whole order. I've not received anything and the full charge has been taken. It may just have been a mistake on their behalf, but I am curious as to what the Trading Laws are on such a thing.

I don't see why I should be funding their cash flow. I have emailed them to ask the question, but appreciate knowing the trading laws on when a card should be charged.

In general terms:

Not sure if any trading law has been broken.

But it is definitely bad business practice.

Such an action could be seen as a "deposit" but I would have serious doubts about any business taking such an "advance" payment without clearly making that contract as one of a "deposit/advance". Funding cash flow would be highly suspect of a business about to go under as funding from creditors rather than customers would be more usual (and may well already be exhausted). Although "deposits/advances" are quite common in the trading practices of "small suppliers" (cottage industry) - think some loco kit providers - the activity is usually very up front and in full knowledge of the customer.

Of course there is also the possibility that an item has been sent and not yet delivered (in the post) and so a charge to a credit card is correct, the sale has taken place.

Guest dilbert

No worries guys, I AM losing the plot...:D

For some reason I had paid by Paypal and they back it onto your credit card immediately. I hadn't realised that so it's something to bear in mind if you use Paypal rather than a card.

A happy ending to boot ...

I use my plastic debit card for PayPal - the transaction ends up on the bank statement quickly and PayPal advise as well the amount (useful if your bank account is in euros and purchasing in GBP) a txn identifier to appear in the bank statement.

As previously mentioned I only use PayPal now for online shopping and this is also useful when pre-ordering items (a convenience for myself) for which the final pricing remains to be confirmed... dilbert

Gordon S, please tell us who the supplier is, If a supplier gets a good name he is to be patronised, if not NOT. I cannot see any reason this cannot be posted if it is in the interest of HONEST members, as long as the facts are TRUE. Beeman.

Beeman, I dislike being shouted at. I may be old, but I am neither blind nor deaf. Nor am I a liar.

It was my mistake nothing else, so I see absolutely no point in saying who it was. Sometimes mud sticks no matter what and I have already said, it was my mistake and of no concern.

Archived