Dublo Type 1 Bo-Bo Body Finish

TheSignalEngineer

• RMweb Gold

About 30 years ago a friend gave me a box of old Hornby Dublo bits. In a brown envelope there was what appeared to be most of a very grungy dismantled 3-rail Bo-Bo diesel.

A few weeks ago the envelope came to light again so I started to check out the part and found that the whole thing was there. The chassis parts have been cleaned and reassembled, and is back to running order.

The only thing remaining to do is the body. It had been overpainted and matt varnished, and the original roof painting was quite bad. The whole thing has been cleaned ready for finishing.

My question is whether the green was left self-coloured or whether it was in fact painted or matt coated?

The body was self coloured green plastic with the roof painted light grey. I matched one with a mixture of Humbrol black and white with just a touch of green. The BR emblems both faced forwards (ie the original, bonnet, front, now the rear of course) as was the practice at the time of the introduction of the prototype.

It should be quite easy and not too expensive to obtain a replacement body on eBay.

EDIT Forgot to mention the finish was matt, as should be visible inside. The grey roof paint is very liable to flaking off. It is quite rare to find one in good condition.

• RMweb Gold

The body was self coloured green plastic with the roof painted light grey. I matched one with a mixture of Humbrol black and white with just a touch of green. The BR emblems both faced forwards (ie the original, bonnet, front, now the rear of course) as was the practice at the time of the introduction of the prototype.

It should be quite easy and not too expensive to obtain a replacement body on eBay.

Thanks for that. The body moulding itself is in excellent condition now I have got rid of the paint and gunge, so I will be just looking to refinish it.

• RMweb Gold

Definitely self coloured, I have an example in my hand. It has no varnish coat either. A good air brushed re-paint in quality paint would be a great improvement, but not for Hornby collectors of course....

Stephen.

Thanks for that. It is to be used for running rather than as a collectable for hiding away, so I may paint the green as well as the grey, but haven't decided yet.

• 1 year later...

Just a word of caution with stripping HD and Wrenn plastic bodies. Sometimes even the smallest amount of water on the body can cause an iriitating misting. Some later Wrenn bodies seem to have been given a minor lacquer. I had a late Dublo body that had goen the same. tear jerking stuff.

Just a word of caution with stripping HD and Wrenn plastic bodies. Sometimes even the smallest amount of water on the body can cause an iriitating misting. Some later Wrenn bodies seem to have been given a minor lacquer. I had a late Dublo body that had goen the same. tear jerking stuff.

Not a problem I've had with water, though I have had this adverse reaction to other substances. A thin coat of varnish will sometimes clear, or at least, cover it. I recently had some success with Johnson's Kleer* on a Wrenn PASFRUIT D, which had been overpainted with dark grey paint**. (Why I don't know, it should have been brown with the 'shirt button' logo.)

* Supposedly removable, in its turn, with dilute ammonia.

** Very tenacious - I still haven't got it all off.

Archived