Pad Printing Inks for spraying

Atso

Hi all,

I've been think (dangerous I know!) and was wondering if pad printing inks could be sprayed directly onto a model providing a rapid drying finish.

I have no experience with inks but I do understand that these types do dry in seconds.

Any thoughts?

I think that they will dry too fast, in the nozzle, leading to clogging up, never tried pad printing ink, but have used other strange inks at times in airbrushes, and all need a lot of suitable thinners added to stop adhesion to the nozzle.

Stephen..

Quick research into pad inks for screen printing shows that they are micro fine pigment in a very volatile suspension for quick drying, and I think spraying may well be impossible unless a slowing solvent is used. They offer a very thin film, but this is done by the pad process, and spraying might be better with a proven product like Floquil Paint, who claim the finest grind of pigments in the paint world. These are available in the UK again, after a "ban" due to Xylene solvents, but they are expensive., made now in Canada by Testor'.

Floquil will dry in it's matt form in seconds as you need , but takes a bit longer with satin additives, and much longer if gloss is required.

Archived