Metalcote gunmetal

It is quite thick, remember there are particles of metal in there and they do tend to sink.

It really needs a good stir.

I use a cheap coffee 'frother' bought for a quid.

Snip the 'whisk' bit off and bend the shaft over at 90 degrees to give you a sort of paddle at the end which goes inside the tinlet.

Drill a small equivalent thickness hole in an old Humbrol tin lid, feed the paddle thru and put the lid on the tin of paint you want to stir.

Stir away and you wont get covered in tiny drops of paint!

I have found that a fresh tin even after a good thorough stir can still be alot less viscous than you normal run of the mill Enamel Humbrol. Even in this state, I have found the thinners within the paint still to be too harsh and remove any enamels previously painted onto the surfaces, especially where dry brushing. However after a couple of openings and uses, it tends to thicken up.

I usually have two or three tins on the go at once in various stages of viscosity for weathering, ultra thin (new and not for dry brushing), normal "Humbrol consitency" and the sludgy bottom which is excellent for weathering (just use sparingly as you dont need much!).

Archived