Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Removal of bogie 'tower' on Bachmann Cl 20

Hi,

I am busy re-working my EE type 1 (class 20) to P4. I have managed to drop the bogie complete with gears out of the chassis (no idea how -it came out easily!) and removed the keeper plate/bogie sides. The bogie appears to rotate/rock on two metal spigots coming from the side of the cast chassis block which engage between the plastic slots in the bogie 'tower'.

But I simply cannot get it back in again! I have tried all angles and it seems the only solution is to 'force' the plastic over the spigots. Before I do this (as it appears to take a lot of force.....)I thought it wise to check if this is the correct way? Is this the only way to re-attach the bogie/gear tower?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Cheers Tony

I suspect that it is a push fit. Any witness marks on the plastic showing the route the disengagement went?

Normally I strip down to some extent any loco model I own, simply to 'know how' in the event of repairs being required, but I refrained from removng the class 20 bogies from the chassis block , simply because I had no need to, and the force that appeared to be required was approaching excessive. Maybe take the cover off the top of the chassis block that supports the worm and drive shaft parts, in order to see what has to happen inside more clearly? My guess is that it is offered from one end or the other to run the chassis spigots into the slots on the gear tower sides, and from your description I think that is what you are attempting. Does the clip on keeper plate/cosmetic bogie frame need to be removed to allow enough freedom of movement?

I will watch this thread with interest to see if someone here can explain, even if the answer turns out to be 'push harder'.

Right done it! They come out quite easily (no disengagement marks), but returning is more difficult.

Here's the way to get them back together. On mine straight push pressure from the bottom was not enough.

Remove the top plate which removes the worm and universal joint. I inserting the bogie tower from the bottom angle the tower so one spigot is easily engaged, with a broad screwdriver from the top gently 'squeeze' the tower top plastic on the other (not engaged) side so the slot pops over the cast spigot. Takes a reasonable amount of 'sqeezing' pressure.

Tony

Archived