Bachmann 105 repair

Hi all. My neighbour bought one of these yesterday, and in trying to fit a decoder, he un-necessarily removed the cover over the motor and gear train, and in the process, the small drive shaft which connects the motor to the gears fell out. Between us, we have spent hours trying to match the shaft at both ends. It is only a slot-fit into the universal joint on both motor and gear, but almost impossible to mate them both . In production, they must assemble hundreds of these an hour by hand, so there must be an easy way - does anyone know what it is?

JD

I had two of my 108s apart yesterday, and I assume that the 105 uses the same mechanism. I found replacing the drive shaft a bit fiddly, but relatively easy to do. Reassemble the unit until the only thing you have left to fit is the bogie/geartrain, with the driveshaft inserted into this piece. Set the angle of the driveshaft T and the slot on the motor to be about the same, and then angle the bogie to slide it into the chassis, trying to get the T into the slot. It may take a few tries, but it is possible. Once it is in place, wiggle the bogie until the pivot point is in place, and attach with the screw.

Adrian

Archived