The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Pegasus E-mail

Willy

I have a little problem with Pegasus and I wonder if any of you computer buffs can help me out.

I have been using Pegasus E-mail for a number of years now and so far I have never had a problem and I am very happy with it. However I now have a problem accessing it, of my own making I must add, and I don't see a way out of it other than deleting and re-installing it.

A couple of days ago the estate agent asked me to e-mail him some of the photos I had taken of the house. There were 15 photos in all and they were taken on a Sony SLR digital camera and are very big. Then in my stupidity I attached them to an e-mail and sent them without resizing and of course the whole thing just locked up. What happens now is that when I try to open Pegasus all I get is a blank page and it will stay like that as long as I keep it open. Then if I close the programme I get the box ???programme is not responding??? and I have to press the ???close now??? key to close the programme.

What I would like to know is; is there any way of recovering Pegasus without having to delete it from my computer and re-installing it? The reason being is that I have all my e-mail history on there along with all my contacts addresses. I have tried to import the address book into outlook Express but that doesn??™t work either.

I am running Windows XP and I am using ADSL which, because of where I live in Rural France, is barely faster than dial-up.

Anyone any suggestions or is a re-install the only answer.

Cheers. :icon_thumbsup2:

Robert,

Thank you for that and I have followed to link to see if it is of help. It would appear that the guy there had the same problem and he seems to have a solution of sorts. Unfortunately I am a complete computer illiterate and it means absolutely nothing to me.:icon_confused:

So, if anyone could interpret the following into plain English I would be grateful.

The only way I have found around this, is to hack into the file structure, find the largest most recent dated folder files when the hang happened, which seems to be cache files, back them up and delete them from the Pegasus directory.:icon_what:

There is then a response to that which says;

Move all of the *.CNM files out of the new mail directory and try again. It should now open normally. :icon_what:

Anyway, thank you again Robert and it is not your fault that I am a bit of a dinosaur.

Hi Willy - Like I said earlier, I haven't used PMail for over ten years now - so it is a bit like the blind leading the blind, but I'll give it a go.

PMail will be installed on your system somewhere - to find out where, go to the PMail icon, right click it and select properties - that will tell you the location of the program. It is probably something like "C:\Program Files\Pmail" or "C:\Pmail".

Enter Windows explorer and go to the PMail directory - you should find a directory called mail in the pmail directory, and another under that which is your username. In this directory you should find a new mail directory which will contain a number of files with different names, but all ending CNM. Move these somewhere else (don't delete them because they could contain data you need) and then PMail should start again.

You can then copy these files back one at a time and find out which one caused the problem.

Hope that helps, and good luck!

You are a star Robert; that seems to have worked.

What I did was look at all the files and identified one that matched the time & date of my last posting and I moved it. It was a very big file as well which gave me confidence that I had found the right one so I only needed to move the one file.

Excellent and thank you very much :icon_thumbsup2:

Archived