Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Lima hst body/ bachmann class 25

Guest jim s-w

Hi Craig

I hope this helps

post-482-0-57547300-1296169116_thumb.jpg

One tip though, the class 25 is slow, fit the right size wheels for a HST and its even slower but you can fit the worm gear from Bachmann's class 158 and it doubles the speed.

HTH

Jim

An alternative option for re-powering a Lima HST is using a Bachmann 158 in the buffet car. It doesn't take much to make the two fit together. I tried the Cl25 option and wasn't satisfied with it.
It should be easy enough to use the 158 bogies and motor in the HST power car, I have used them for classic DMUs OK and the process should be much the same. See Use of 158 chassis.

Regards

Keith

Been there, done that.

Body block butchered to fit the chassis. Bogie frames butchered to fit on the bachy bogies.

Drive shafts cut and shut to fit the longer wheel base

Slow slow slow and generally rubbish. Waste of a good 25 in my opinion! If you don't like the 25 body have a look at Silver fox for something more interesting.

Best bet would be get a set of the new Hornby hsts in the current clearance rather than messing about with this option. Even if you eventually fit a lima body for the livery/variant you'll still have a better running model.

Thanks Jim and Adrian, going to look at both, what size and make of wheels did you both use?

A big thank u to you both :-)

Since the 158 was in the buffet, I just left the wheels as they were. With the power in the middle of the train, I find that it isn't so worrying running the set in reverse.

Adrian

Archived