Hornby class 101 motor bogie wiring

My Hornby class 101 suddenly stopped working and investigation has revealed a broken connection.

post-7483-0-13396500-1296400487_thumb.jpg

I'm a bit nervous about re-soldering this joint because of the tight working area. I'm also concerned about how long a repair would last as I think the cause of the failure is that there is very limited 'slack' in the wiring to this joint and pressure is placed on it whenever the unit goes round a curve.

Any suggestions please? And what is the component numbered 104 - is it the tv interference suppressor? If so could I leave it off ? (I don't have a tv! :lol: )

Thanks

Graham

Yes it is and no you cannot cut it out as you might not have a tv, but unless you live in the middle of nowhere some of your neighbors will have, and without it you will cause interference on theirs.

Funny, I live in a concrete jungle and have removed all caps from my fleet of locomotives without any ill effect.

So far, no complaints from my neighbours about any interference on their tv/radios etc when I operate the locomotives on my layout.

The last time I got a complaint about tv interference was over 20 years ago, and that was due to my neighbour operating a 1960's b/w tv when I was using my high powered CB radio transmitter.

K9-70

Archived