US Shortline Track Specs (Current)

trisonic

I was browsing through the Black River and Western RR website (see Overseas Prototype) and found this interesting little document:

http://www.bdrry.com/Black%20River%20Railroad%20System%20Track%20Standards%20&%20Specifications%20100101.pdf

Someone could find this quite useful as it reflects current US shortline practice in the USA.

Best, Pete.

I was browsing through the Black River and Western RR website (see Overseas Prototype) and found this interesting little document:

http://www.bdrry.com...ns%20100101.pdf

Someone could find this quite useful as it reflects current US shortline practice in the USA.

Best, Pete.

Dear Pete,

Great find! Now, darn it if we don't have any excuse to use #4s, 5s, or even 6s on our models,

"...TURNOUTS

Unless otherwise specified, turnouts shall (be) #10 ..."

Darn... ;)

Happy Modelling,

Aim to Improve,

Prof Klyzlr

For a short document it contains a remarkable amount of information.

With regard to #10's - we're used to seeing rtr mainline specimens - these seem considerably shorter.

When we have finished being buried in Snow and Ice over here - I'll take a trip down to the line and take some detailed photos of some turnouts.

Best, Pete.

Dear Dave,

A check of my files shows it was exactly these docs that I used to set the handlaid track specs for "ChicagO Fork",

with the sleeper spacing, sizing, and ballast colors,

(indicating whether it was UP "Secondary Main", UP "Industrial", or "UP-acceptable-privately-constructed" trackage),

being the key indicators...

I knew I recognized the URL from somewhere... :D :rolleyes:

Happy Modelling,

Aim to Improve,

Prof Klyzlr

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Some images of shortline trackwork in a reasonably awful state attached:

This is on the Akron, Barberton & Canton Railway (a Wheeling & Lake Erie subsidiary) in Barberton, OH, summer 2009.

post-194-0-67372500-1306335594_thumb.jpg

post-194-0-40361500-1306335705_thumb.jpg

post-194-0-82646700-1306335742_thumb.jpg

post-194-0-00442000-1306335770_thumb.jpg

You didn't by any chance catch the weight of the rail or how old it is did you. The angle bars look like 90# or low 100's.

American rail has the size and month/year it was rolled/stamped in the side of every piece. On rail that rusty it would be a bit to read it though.

• RMweb Gold

Sadly I didn't - it was indeed very rusty. The contrast between the shortline track and the almost-adjacent "high iron" of the CSX (ex-B&O) line through Barberton was very marked, though.

Archived