Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Theft Of Trains Last Year

So when you've created the Excel spreadsheet back it up ontop a CD and store that in another place. Just in case they nick the PC as well.

You mustn't put all your eggs in one basket. A bit like trying to retrieve the insurance certificates from a house that's just burnt to the ground. Give printouts to friends/ family and/or a CD with the excel spreadsheets on it.;)

I'm very glad to hear that it resolved with a happy ending. It has spurred me on to consider that I need to catalogue and record my own collections - I collect several other things as well as model railways, and none are properly catalogued. I'm not one who normally likes using Excel spreadsheets, but I suspect that I am going to become very familiar with them over the next few weeks.

It's too easy to amass a massive collection without realising its true combined value. We all do this over a number of years - I shudder to think at the total I spent. It is also apparent to me that some items that were bought new would cost many times that value to replace now given their scarcity, and some could not be replaced at all regardless of money. It's a sobering thought.

Myself and L49 have been doing my stocktake and its amazing what you don't realise you've got. We've found quite a few loco's I either forgot I had, or didn't even remember buying. I was obviously buying in auto-pilot as I often do when I'm at shows.;)

Last year there was a break in at the building where myself and some friends keep our layout. There was some stock in the building, and the boxed items were stolen.

but can you really say that your house insurance covers your stock adequately? Mine didn't - I was just very lucky on this occasion.

5/ Get decent locks on your home, including the roof hatch if you have an attic layout, fit an alarm, and don't leave items at any other location unless absolutely necessary, and there are adequate arrangements for security and insurance

This is the classic case of taking out 'personal possessions away from home' cover and then not reading the small print about being 'in your possession at all times'.

I cannot stress too highly that possessions that are locked up outside the boundaries of your property in another building are not insured whilst you are not actually there.

As to the locks, there is no requirement to fit locks to your home in order to be covered for theft from it but, there needs to be forcible entry and once done or if a bad area your insurance company may insist on proper locks to all accessible windows. That would not include a roof hatch. Obviously, any reasonable security precautions will deter most burglars but it has to be said that if they really want to break in, they will.

In this case they had the time and opportunity and they must have had an inkling of the contents and value. This is why insurance companies hate covering empty buildings with no security and highish value contents.

So when you've created the Excel spreadsheet back it up ontop a CD and store that in another place. Just in case they nick the PC as well.

Way ahead of you! I have a 60Gb external Hdd that travels everywhere with me with a duplicate of all my critical files. As an author, my critical files include all the versions of the manuscripts for seven published books, two soon to be published books, three never to be published books and a host of short stories, notes, articles, scripts etc from a fourteen odd year career. Even if the drive is never accessed, it is somewhere in my luggage. Don't rely on optical media, as I've had DVDr and CDr disks die on me before now and mysteriously become unreadable.

its amazing what you don't realise you've got.

My record collection is like that, with up to three copies of some LPs because I kept forgetting I already had a copy. The trouble is, each time I start cataloguing, I end up discovering some top albums and before I know it I've been spinning tunes all afternoon and got no cataloguing done!

Way ahead of you! I have a 60Gb external Hdd that travels everywhere with me with a duplicate of all my critical files. As an author, my critical files include all the versions of the manuscripts for seven published books, two soon to be published books, three never to be published books and a host of short stories, notes, articles, scripts etc from a fourteen odd year career. Even if the drive is never accessed, it is somewhere in my luggage. Don't rely on optical media, as I've had DVDr and CDr disks die on me before now and mysteriously become unreadable.

My record collection is like that, with up to three copies of some LPs because I kept forgetting I already had a copy. The trouble is, each time I start cataloguing, I end up discovering some top albums and before I know it I've been spinning tunes all afternoon and got no cataloguing done!

I have that problem with railway books. I end up buying a book I already have, then give it to a friend.:D

Archived