Metcalf kit bash

post-6220-0-11554600-1297008861_thumb.jpg

One end of the Metcalf Brewery kit stuck to several layers of card so that it is about a 1/4" thick.

On the right is the central section from the Half relief Mill and warehouse, from behind so that you

can see extra reinforcement strips glued in. At the bottom the strip has expand under the influence of the

wet PVA glue. I'll have to re glue it.

• RMweb Premium

Coincidentally I was considering these kits for the same reason, this afternoon whilst waiting in outpatients for my appointment to come up, browsing Metcalfs Model Rail ad . I've a long run of backscene to fill above retaining arches. These may fit the bill.

Rob

Yes each kit gives you a lot of material to play with, don't forget each building has four sides so if flaten them you can use each side to give you 4 time the width in low relief.

I'm using the brick based kits to give a Midlands / London look. If I were modelling 'op North I'd go for the stone finish ones.

post-6220-0-25167600-1297111231_thumb.jpg

On the left the Factory and Warehouse kit is used, one gable end of the warehouse with doors and about half of the factory but with a flat roof replacing the sloping one.

The other warehouse type building is scratch built.

The houses at the end overlooking the sidings are the low relief terraces as they come.

• 6 months later...

Making a flat factory as part of the shallow scenery, one end is slightly thicker than the other so that this low relief model will not sit with it's outer face exactly parallel to the back scene.

This shot is looking down and from behind.

post-6220-0-58499900-1313592729_thumb.jpg

The front, windows are still being stuck in, I have weathered it with a wash of grey watercolour paint, the brush marks show up well in this picture.

post-6220-0-51245200-1313592774_thumb.jpg

The back showing window holes and stiffening strips.

post-6220-0-44742700-1313592757_thumb.jpg

The model is built up from parts of a Model Yard warehouse kit.

Whilst preparing this photo of the shunter, it's apparent that the Arkwright Mill is not vertical. Leaning to the right compared with the next building.

It's well and truly stuck down to the base board and the back scene and is not going to be moved, I've never noticed this before, so it's a case of the photo showing things differently than the naked eye?

post-6220-0-79538800-1313787275_thumb.jpg

Archived