DCC Smoke Systems

Sam '43003' Tanner

I've been watching some of the many "Class 37 Thrash" video's on everyone favourite online video website and it's got me wondering; Would it affect the oil in a smoke unit if it we're to be tinted with a grey/black pigment to produce a more realistic 'clag' effect? The white looks good enough, but from my own observations, the 'clag' is only white if a loco is started for the first time after a prolonged period being stabled up somewhere.

Any thought's Guy's & Gal's?

My first reaction is to say that 'tinting' smoke oil is probably not possible, you would have to select a type of oil that produces different coloured smoke. Good luck with that one :blink:

My second reaction is that you need to be prepared for whatever you put in a smoke unit to be spread all over your model and its surroundings, because that is exactly what will happen.

The pigment that does the job in real smoke is finely divided elemental carbon - soot - resulting from incomplete combustion, which is obtainable as 'lamp black' . http://www.naturalpigments.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=480-50S

Would it be transported with the evaporating smoke oil, from a mixture of smoke oil and lamp black? I don't know for sure, but suspect it would if the smoke unit was hot enough, as the particle size quoted for the commercial lamp black in the link is small enough for Brownian motion effects, which means that it is a small enough particle to exhibit the 'random walk' associated with slight imbalances in molecular impacts on the particles. So oil molecules hot enough to evaporate should be able to 'bump' the lamp black particles along with them. If it works, you will get the literal weathering alright. Everywhere, including your skin and lungs, but unlikely to be significantly worse than wandering a typical city's streets...

The pigment that does the job in real smoke is finely divided elemental carbon - soot - resulting from incomplete combustion, which is obtainable as 'lamp black' . http://www.naturalpi...DUCT_ID=480-50S

Would it be transported with the evaporating smoke oil, from a mixture of smoke oil and lamp black? I don't know for sure, but suspect it would if the smoke unit was hot enough, as the particle size quoted for the commercial lamp black in the link is small enough for Brownian motion effects, which means that it is a small enough particle to exhibit the 'random walk' associated with slight imbalances in molecular impacts on the particles. So oil molecules hot enough to evaporate should be able to 'bump' the lamp black particles along with them. If it works, you will get the literal weathering alright. Everywhere, including your skin and lungs, but unlikely to be significantly worse than wandering a typical city's streets...

I guess it's not such a good idea then.? :blink::lol:

Archived