Fine Tuning and Maintaining 00 Gauge Models

Richard_S

Description from Crowood Press;

Locomotive and layout maintenance is an essential aspect of the railway modelling, but one that is little understood by modellers, especially those new to the hobby or returning after a long absence. "Fine Tuning and Maintaining 00 Gauge Models" shows you all of the techniques required to introduce new models to your layout, run them in, fit all of the parts supplied with them and undertake repairs where necessary. It includes advice on how to carry out routine maintenance, shows the reader techniques for fine-tuning performance and discusses the important issues surrounding conversion to the finer scales.

Chapters include:

• Running in new models
  • Fitting factory-supplied parts
  • Mechanical enhancements
  • Simple enhancements
  • Keeping the layout running smoothly

RRP: £18.99

I bought a copy last weekend at the Rochdale Show and have just read it from cover to cover. It is extremely comprehensive, well thought out, highly readable and copiously illustrated. The text gives background on why and how to perform the various tasks which are then demonstrated in sequences of photographs, the labelling of which is particularly well executed. In order to be comprehensive nothing is assumed and all aspects of tuning and running are featured. The sections on re-wheeling locomotives to finer wheel standards is a particular high spot.

Some books are bought to sit on a bookshelf; this book deserves a place on your workbench. Like the best cookbooks it should reveal its usage by becoming well thumbed and suitably grubby.

Good to know this book gets the thumbs up - was browsing on Amazon earlier this week and came across it, had a look through the preview pages and promptly ordered. As a relative newcomer to the hobby with limited knowledge it looked an ideal book for both enhancing and improving the running of my models; plenty of images it seems too which is always appreciated.

• 1 month later...

I recently bought a copy of this book and as others have said I would thoroughly recommend it. It is very well presented and clear with a great mix of simple advice on how to do some fairly basic things once you take those RTR models out of their boxes but it also moves on to cover some more in-depth options once you have more confidence.

Along with my George Dent detailing and modifying diesels book I can see this being a well-thumbed addition to the workbench!

Archived