BR Crimson & Cream Livery

I'm currently repainting a Hornby MK1 composite into Blood and Custard. The lining for this livery is gold and black and I'm wondering what paint/colour to use for the gold line. Looking at a Bachmann Mk1 it looks as if they've used a tan colour.

Thanks

Jeremy

Railway were fond of using the word gold when in fact it was a paint mixed to resemble gold. A bright colour it wasn't.

On the modelling front, you could use Humbrol Cream No.7 and Humbrol yellow No.69 mixed 50/50. If you are using a draughtsmans ruling pen, let the new tins of paint settle before pouring off the oil into a spare container. Then stir the 'putty' that is left and pour in small amounts of the oil until the paint flows out of your bow pen and stays put without spreading out of control. Then mix the two colours together. Finally add a very small touch of black to distress the colour. This same lining colour can also be used for BR maroon. I happen to used cellulose paint mixed to match the above colour.

You make it sound SOOO easy Larry!

Ed

I agree but Larry is the real business. I have struggled with lining pens. I did get fairly good results with the Bob Moor pen but the lines are a bit thick. I understand that a Rotoring pen can do the job, anyone with any experience of this?

Jack

Rotring pens were designed to use ink (definitely not paint) and came in as a convenient replacements for bow-pens. The latter had to be set to a given line width whereas Rotring pens came in a wide variety of line widths. I suspect they arrived a bit late in the day for drawing offices and the like.

They in turn came under threat from the various PC drawing programmes. I made minor use of the finer Rotring pens together with 'T' etching ink for black lining on Southern Railway full panelled livery.

When I was in Calico Printers drawing office (Designs Reproduction) we used mapping pens and bow pens. A constant line width ruled above all else. The Rotring would have been beneficial but the office closed before technology caught up.

Heck - that must have been a very long time ago. I've been in the buisness for 40 years and have always used Rotring pens.

Back in the dark ages (or the 1980s as some refer to them) I used Rotring pens with Precision or Humbrol paints for lining and they worked fairly well provided the paint was the right consistency. However the plastic parts of the pen didn't last too long - I suspect the thinners used for cleaning got to it. I forget now which sizes I used but the line width was mainly dictated by the paint anyway. They were also easy to use with gouache but this was only an option on matt or near matt surfaces - from memory, I think I mainly used gouache for BR mixed traffic lining - on car body spray matt black and then varnished as required. Sharp curved corners still had to be done with a brush, but gentlet curves could be done with the Rotring as long as you could run it against a template

Archived