Isolating tracks (Question)

Dudley Dodger

How exactly do i isolate my tracks in N gauge?

There are two options. Firstly, Are ready built isolating tracks availible in N gauge?

Secondly, how do I do one myself?

And also, will this (fig. 1.bmp) work?

I basically want to split the oval into two, so that i can basically have two trains come into one platform, and then leav back the way they came, like a newtons cradle, allowing me to run six trains on one loop. If I isolate at all of these sections, could i run it as two crescnets? If not, could you edit it to where they should be?

And also, will this (fig. 1.bmp) work?

I basically want to split the oval into two, so that i can basically have two trains come into one platform, and then leav back the way they came, like a newtons cradle, allowing me to run six trains on one loop. If I isolate at all of these sections, could i run it as two crescnets? If not, could you edit it to where they should be?

Are you intending to have 2 trains running on different controllers ? Or on a single controller (so only one train is running at any one time?

Either way you need to ensure that the second train arriving at the platform does not go over the isolators and that the other train is "isolated" from the power by its point being switched against it.

In theory you could have 6 trains operating in turn 3 either side of the oval but the power supply will also need to be switched to one side or the other.

[Ed] I should learn to type quicker :D

... yeah what was said above.

I've got one of the HM Really Complex Analogue Controllers^tm, with two turny bits. I was going to have three platforms and three recipient sections opposite, with isolators in four (of the six) and two short ones long enough for a three car alone or something. So I could have seven trains going, which I will acquire over the space of a long time. I know about the not gooing over the isolator thing, having used them, but not seen how they were assembled.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest RAFHAAA

The simplest isolation method is to zap the rails with a dremel whizzy disc - quick and clean especially if your track is already fixed down and maybe scenic - erized.

Rob

• RMweb Premium

Dremel is available at many hardware and model shops in North America. A number of other manufacturers make similar products that are cheaper.

Try Motor Tool or mototool.

Archived