DC Gaugemaster controller

GreenDiesel001

My Gaugemaster DC controller has the following output:-

1) 14V DC Track

2 14V DC Uncontrolled

3) 18V AC accessories.

At the moment I just have a Gaugemaster track cleaner wired in as an addition.

However, I hope to be adding, in the future, the following:-

1) Point motors with CDU.

2) Model W hand held controller.

3) HH feedback controller.

4) Lighting for the station.

5) Route identification LED's on my control panel.

Just what can I add and when do I consider another controller or transformer please?

Any advice gratefully received.

Regards,

Jeff

It depends on the electrical load that all these other things present. If the total expected load exceeds the rating of the transformer then either it will suffer or its overload protection equipment will operate, turning things off.

It is best practice to arrange layout lighting to come off a separate supply to the train supply. This is so that, in the event of a short circuit on the track supply (these things do happen from time to time) the layout lights will remain on.

The track cleaner takes 16v AC to a max of 1.25 amps but not very often if the track is clean.

The CDU wants 16-24v AC to a max of 2.5 amps. Lower amps means longer to recharge. I guess they could run off the same AC ouput.

The HH and Model W each require an input of 16v AC at 1.25amps assuming you are using them at the same time. If you are putting them into the same DIN socket then just one input.

The lighting and board indication will depend on how much there is.

As PWSlack says you'll have to do the sums for all of it but I reckon you will need another AC source for the HH and Walkabout and maybe a second DC source for some of the lighting.

• RMweb Gold

Its always best practice to have each controller on a separate winding. Essential with common return. Even without you can get odd effects if a loco bridges two sections connected to different controllers. A CDU usually converts AC to DC to charge the capacitor so one could work off uncontrolled DC if the bridge rectifier can take the DC load. Or the uncontrolled DC could be used for lighting. So I suggest at least a transformer with two 16vc windings for the controllers.

Don

.......odd effects if a loco bridges two sections connected to different controllers......

It is possible, nay, desirable, to wire the layout so this cannot happen.

For a signalled layout, such as a passenger station, the principles are:

• Enable the signals to be cleared provided only that the points are in the correct position and all track sectrions to which they apply are connected to the same controller.
  • Cleared signals lock the points.
  • Separate the signalman and driver functions into two separate roles.
  • Drivers to drive to the signals.

In an unsignalled layout like a large locomotive shed or goods yard, apply Zone Control. All track section switches are connected to a Zone switch, which is arranged so that the whole Zone is connected to one controller.

Such techniques will minimise the possibility for the track-section-break-loco-shuffle, so despised by the exhibition customer, to occur.

Archived