Going green

Andy D

Hi guys/girls,

Im new to this forum as i used another well known forum previously.

Just a quick question for anyone that has done this before,

I like to scratch build stuff for my layouts (buildings, infastructure etc) and whilst at college the other day doing heating & ventilation we were talking about the green patina effect given to copper roofs to protect then etc. I thought it would be pretty cool to put a patina roof on a building on my layout?

Does anyone know a good method that would give a realistic effect? As i feel just 'painting it' may not look right?

Any thoughts would be very helpful.

Many thanks,

Andy î…

I don't think the patina is given to the roof as such, I think it just happens due to oxidisation and weathering, athough once the surface has reacted, the reactions stop, so it does prevent further corrosion.

One of the buildings on the layout I'm involved with has a copper dome:

gallery_6737_845_104130.jpg

It is made of printed card. The colour and weathering was printed then dusted with an airbrush to finish it off.

Thanks everyone for the replys, i now remember that my lecturer said it was a side effect of the copper exposure to the oxygen.

I had a thought while at work that i could paint the surface like green in the photos and maybe use a wash to highlight edges, textures etc?

Nice photos by the way ;-)

Regards,

Andy

Archived