N Gauge Flatiron

PGN

Hi all.

Being a member of this forum has had a serious effect on me - I'm actually getting around to FINISHING some of those long outstanding projects! Hard to believe, but true.

Anyway, a while back I bought a kit-built Midland "Flatiron" on Ebay. Professionally built and painted ... only problem was, it was in LMS black livery, and I wanted it in Midland red. So out came the brushes ... and the results are as you see below. All that remains now is to add decal transfers and varnish them in.

Everything is by brush, and by hand and eye. The lining isn't quite as sharply finished as I'd like, but red is a devil of a base colour because the pigment doesn't have the covering power of green or black. This means if you want to straighten off a wobble, it takes TWO coats to cover it over, rather than a single pass with a brush full of base colour. And getting two coats with precisely the same brush pass isn't easy. You come to a stage where you have to say "that's as good as it's going to get" ... which is where I've got to with this one. At normal viewing distances, I think it's looking pretty much teh part.

post-4374-0-96478400-1297593195_thumb.jpg

post-4374-0-44285900-1297593209_thumb.jpg

post-4374-0-90415200-1297593222_thumb.jpg

post-4374-0-38138000-1297593236_thumb.jpg

Thats pretty good. I must finish mine off one day, after I stop dropping it! I'm opting for plain old LMS black livery. I have replaced the cast whitemetal bufferswith brass and put handrails on the smoke box.

What are going to put behind it?

What are going to put behind it?

I thought these might do for starters:

post-4374-0-77974800-1298199694_thumb.jpg

The leading carriage in LNWR livery is a Worsley Works NLR 4-wheeler running on a stretched Micro Ace chassis. The build and paint job are entirely my own.

The second carriage and brake are Graham Farish 4-wheelers converted and painted as you see them by an unknown hand (I bought them on Ebay). I have glazed them, thaken them off the Graham Farish 4-wheel chassis and put them on Flesichmann 6-wheel chassis.

Archived