Pengam sidings/Neath Abbey Wharf Stone Trains

simon47603

Hello Gents.

Would anyone know what days, Freightliner's - Pengam Sidings to Neath Abbey Wharf Stone trains run? And what time they are booked to pass Briton Ferry Station. I caught site of one at Briton Ferry yesterday at around 10am. I thought it was a daily monday to friday service, so I went back today, to see it, but their was no sign of it! As freight west of Margam is far fewer these days, I only stayed for 45 mins, I think most DBS services run late afternoon, so their was no point in freezing to death!! Also, I know that the train returns to Pengam sidings in the afternoon, but where does it go from there?

Many Thanks

Simon

Would anyone know what days, Freightliner's - Pengam Sidings to Neath Abbey Wharf Stone trains run? And what time they are booked to pass Briton Ferry Station. I caught site of one at Briton Ferry yesterday at around 10am. I thought it was a daily monday to friday service, so I went back today, to see it, but their was no sign of it! As freight west of Margam is far fewer these days, I only stayed for 45 mins, I think most DBS services run late afternoon, so their was no point in freezing to death!! Also, I know that the train returns to Pengam sidings in the afternoon, but where does it go from there?

Simon,

There are at least two Yahoo Groups covering South Wales rail activity, and also a Freightliner group.

I'd post the links for you, but in work the filter won't let me access Yahoo Groups.

The service does 'lay over' at Pengam some nights, at least one driver is local.

On the days it does run, it's off Neath Abbey Wharf just after lunch.

Brian R

Simon,

Last info I had, the diagram was as follows.

6B42 05:56 MWO Stoke Gifford - Neath Abbey Wharf. (due Port Talbot 07:06)

6B75 13:38 MWO Neath Abbey Wharf - Pengam. (due Port Talbot 14:25)

6A21 08:28 TO(Q) Pengam - Theale

6Z60 15:34 TO(Q) Theale - Stoke Gifford

6O56 05:02 ThO(Q) Pengam - Angerstein Wharf.

6V44 18:48 ThO(Q) Angerstein Wharf - Stoke Gifford.

However, as with many flows, things can be described as 'fluid'

Good luck

Brian R

Thanks Gents,for the above answers. I know that this train is loaded with gritstone from Bardon's, Cwm Nant Lleici Quarry near Pontardawe. As I have some free time during this week, I will have to try again.

I am sure though, that last year, Cemex signed a contract with Freightliner to move stone from Neath AWF to Leeds and other sites in the North of England, it was supposed to be a daily train, has this ever run?

Thanks Simon

Hi Leon

Neath Abbey Wharf is on the former Neath and Brecon line, trains have to go into Swansea Burrows yard to run round to gain access to the terminal. Then once loaded, back to Swansea to run round again, before heading back to Cardiff. The terminal is on the banks of the River Neath. It's Just off the M4 at Jct43, on the Heads of the Valley road. If you goggle earth it, a lightship can be seen near the site. In BR times, Coal and steel were loaded there.

I have just returned from Briton Ferry Station, 66529, was in charge of the train, the good news is that the train's consist is now made up of green and white HIA hopper wagons, so I cant wait for Dapol's model to be released.

Thanks to everyone, especially Ian

Simon

Hi Leon

Neath Abbey Wharf is on the former Neath and Brecon line, trains have to go into Swansea Burrows yard to run round to gain access to the terminal. Then once loaded, back to Swansea to run round again, before heading back to Cardiff. The terminal is on the banks of the River Neath. It's Just off the M4 at Jct43, on the Heads of the Valley road. If you goggle earth it, a lightship can be seen near the site. In BR times, Coal and steel were loaded there.

I have just returned from Briton Ferry Station, 66529, was in charge of the train, the good news is that the train's consist is now made up of green and white HIA hopper wagons, so I cant wait for Dapol's model to be released.

Thanks to everyone, especially Ian

Simon

Wasn't it known as 'Steel Supplies' at one time? The gritstone traffic is probably seasonal to some extent- it's used for those high-adhesion approaches to pedestrian crossings, road junctions etc. Given the toll taken on road surfaces by the recent wintery weather, I somehow think that priority will be going to filling potholes and other repair work- also, I believe the stuff is rolled over hot sprayed tar (usually at night), something a little difficult to do if the night-time temperatures are still close to freezing.

Amazed that the lightship is still there- I'm sure it was there in the days when Giant's Grave (on the opposite bank) used to break ships.

Hi Simon

Sorry to correct you, but the train comes down to Neath AWF, we still know it as Steel Supply, then propels back into the terminal, he only goes to Swansea Burrows to run round after he has finished loading and then comes out and runs back to Pengam, Incidentally you were a bit lucky today as the train came out of Burrows 2 hours early, but, we were told to hold him back at Dynevor as Pengam couldn't accept him early.

Ian

Hi Brian<BR><BR>You are right, it is the Steel Supply siding, The trains have been running for a number of years, and are loaded all year round. My wife's Uncle works at the Cwm Nant Quarry, the lorrys running back and fore to Neath AWF have priority loading, and try to do 5 loads a day. The train however, was first loaded at the Cwmgwrach mine in the Neath Valley, until April 1999, when it moved down to Neath AWF. I would recommend Adrain Kenny's excellent book- Railways of South Wales, it has shots of both loading points; pages 108 and 112. The train was in the hands of EWS then.<BR><BR>The Lightship is still there. However, it is not is use anymore as every hightide, it's decks are awash!! <BR><BR>I was in Giant's Grave a couple of weeks ago, running coils into the warehouse for shipping to Portugal, from Llanwern. They still handle scrap their as well although I dont know if it is being shipped in or out. As it was 3 in the morning!! Whilst all the rail tracks are still present as well. <BR><BR>Simon

Hi Ian, I stand corrected, did'nt know it reversed back in to the sidings. Thanks for holding it for me though!! Very thoughtful of you!

I dont know whats happen'ed to my last post it looks like it gone abit haywire!! I cant seem to remove the breaks, that have shown up?

Simon

• 2 years later...

Surprised the lightship hasn't been claimed for restoration. Here's a shot of it in March 2009. Also a shot of the rail entrance to Seel Supply taken the same day on a trip being conducted to Burrows and back. Still had an old style Limit of Shunt board. Rare in them days. Is it still there?

post-7146-0-21012400-1364907053.jpg

post-7146-0-46101200-1364907073.jpg

Paul J.

Went round the Swansea district line on Thursday and the lightship is still there! (Though I can remember it being the other side of the main line in the past). Does anyone know anything more about it?

The ship was originally purchased nearly 40 years ago, and has been there since 30th May 1973. Her Pennant number was LV No 72. A quick google and I found this:

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=35679

Her history is described on post number 14.

What's astonishing is that she is a 110 years old, having been built by John Green & Sons in Sunderland in 1903! She is also a Normandy Veteran. Where having been towed across the channel was moored of the Juno Station. She has been in her current position since the 30th of May 1973.

Simon

The ship was originally purchased nearly 40 years ago, and has been there since 30th May 1973. Her Pennant number was LV No 72. A quick google and I found this:

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=35679

Her history is described on post number 14.

What's astonishing is that she is a 110 years old, having been built by John Green & Sons in Sunderland in 1903! She is also a Normandy Veteran. Where having been towed across the channel was moored of the Juno Station. She has been in her current position since the 30th of May 1973.

Simon

I was surprised she hadn't been there longer; dad used to take us past 'Giant's Grave' as a treat in the late 1960s, and I was sure I remembered a moored lightship on the other bank of the Neath.

Giant's Grave cut up quite a lot of vessels, many naval, over the years. Amongst other vessels, I remember HMS Bermuda being cut there, back in the late 1960s.

I was surprised she hadn't been there longer; dad used to take us past 'Giant's Grave' as a treat in the late 1960s, and I was sure I remembered a moored lightship on the other bank of the Neath.Giant's Grave cut up quite a lot of vessels, many naval, over the years. Amongst other vessels, I remember HMS Bermuda being cut there, back in the late 1960s.

Hi Brian

And as if by magic... HMS Burmuda at Giants Grave:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/63467374@N04/5775685117/in/photostream/

Simon

Archived