How to paint an etched smokebox number plate?

Hi all,

Please forgive me if this topic has been covered, but a few searches turned up nothing. Just point me in the right direction if so.

What is the best way to paint an etched 4mm brass smokebox number plate, so that it is left black with white painted raised numbers?

I am either ham-fisted or missing something very easy......

Thanks in anticipation.

Iain

If it is a conventional etched brass item, then simply flood with the black paint and dry it off, if you want use gloss enamel paint and bake it hard in an oven at 120c, then take the item, and polish it on flat mounted fine emery paper, at least 800 grit or finer. It should then have the letters and any surround in bright brass,

To get white letters simply brush the letters in with white gloss, with a near dry sable brush. Use a magnifying glass or strong reading glasses.

If the plate has no surround, then leave it in the etch plate till the painting is done and sanded, then remove the support.

If the numbers are small it may be acceptable to leave in a polished brass finish.

Another way to get a "white finish" is to use clockmakers silver paste on the letters, this plates pure silver on the brass, which is varnished to protect it.

If it helps, and I know it's not the same subject but the method is the same for the etched brass warning signs - both Shamouti Ben Yafo's (for the top sign, but using red paint - yup, I should have used a little less pressure so as not to remove the white paint bottom left) and Bertiedog's (for the lower, but leaving the bare brass) excellent techniques were used. If you make a mess you can always strip and start over (the smokebox plate, not you personally). Click to enlarge.

post-6681-0-94197900-1297845715_thumb.jpg

The reason I preffered to add the white afterwards was close examination of the etched plates that had been painted first, the sharp edge of the etching, with it's undercut, tended to leave no paint thickness at the edges of each letter, but painting afterwards gave a better finish.

I found that with the paint first way it seemed to leave a fine brass rim to each letter.

These days I always brush over the etched brassplates with a Dremel rotary wire brush to wear off the sharp edges, rounding over the sharp edges and this cures the issue, allowing pre-painting of the letters, as the paint leaves no feather edging, but is even over the edge.

But old habits die hard, and mainly the lettering is brush painted, unless polished brass is needed.

Stephen

Archived