Combined South Wales Freightliner and Passenger Trains

Pixie

The Up Sleeper certainly conveyed at least one TPO during the period in question- however, the TPO only ran from Carmarthen to Bristol Temple Meads. I used to meet it quite regularly, as the Reverend used to go back to Swansea on it. I never saw the Down train, as it would have run before I was up in the morning. The ECS went to Maliphant for servicing during the morning, heading back down late afternoon- this latter arrangement continued even after the sleeper had finished, as I remember seeing the postal stock passing Llanelli in 1986, just before my dad died.

Back to the Freightliner- if attachment was at Llanelli, I would go for somewhere east of the station, such as Llandeilo Junction. The reason for this is that Llanelli station is bracketed by level crossings at both ends, and anything over loco+9 would foul one of them- any attempt to attach a portion here would have led to New Dock Road being blocked for an unacceptable period, and would have made the local press (the Llanelli Star).

Am I really the only middle-aged Turk on here? There must be someone else left from the various groups who used to hang around the station and annoy Mr White (the Area Manager)..

Just wanted to add a belated thanks to all the postings on here, they all make for interesting reading!

Going back to the Carrige Working information, it states that the FK and BFK must be detached at Swansea and restored on arrival of the 14.00 Fishguard, so I assume they just stayed at Swansea? No separate set number was given for them. Also stated is that the train must not exceed 10 vehicles past Swansea, I guess this ties in with what Brian said about Llanelli?

Pix

Archived