0 gauge platform

PAUL WAYNE

• RMweb Premium

A lot of platforms in steam days were a bit lower than 3ft anything from 2ft upwards. I can remember having to step up into carriages.

Don

At Settle and quite a few of the other nstations nearby there were two sets of steps that the Porter used to move round to help passengers get off. They've since rasied the front part of the platforms to the standard height. There also used to be 'pulling up' for the long trains such as the Thames Clyde and the Waverley to cope with the short platforms. The train would stop with the loco on the barrow crossing and the first 5r in the platform. The gaurd had previously told passengers in teh rear coaches to sit tight. Then after the initial load of passengers had got on and off the train would pull forward for the passengers in the rar 5 to get on and off. All done safely every day.

Jamie

hi chaps thanks for all your info i have made my platform now out of wood wich was 21mm high wich turned out bang on even the loading bay was good to any one got ideas on what to cover my platform with? :) i was going to use dressed stone for the sides or walls of the platform OH COME ON KETTERING 0 GAUGE SHOW I CAN'T WAIT

For the record when I was a BR structures design engineer platform height was 915 mm (which as others have said is 3' in old money) and 730 mm from rail edge laterally (on straight(ish) track). However, many paltforms were and are sub-standard (and in many cases are impossible to rectify due to platform buildings, etc), which sometimes leads to odd visual effects when a platform is extended to modern standards onto a sub--standard platform.

For a modern platform it should ideally fall at 1 in 40 (max 1 in 20) away from the platform edge into a collector drain at the back of a side platform, or the centre of an island platform. Cross falls tend to be rather more random on old platforms!

hi chaps thanks for all your info i have made my platform now out of wood wich was 21mm high wich turned out bang on even the loading bay was good to any one got ideas on what to cover my platform with? :) i was going to use dressed stone for the sides or walls of the platform OH COME ON KETTERING 0 GAUGE SHOW I CAN'T WAIT

Hi Paul

Be careful what you add to the platform, as all the dimensions that have been given are "finished" dimensions and should be regarded as a Minimum for "general" 0 Gauge modelling.

For example, using the excellent Wills embossed plastic sheets which are quite thick could put you "out of gauge"

Unless you build stock strictly to prototype dimensions, and modify kits accordingly, a lot of the stuff will be a bit wider (across outside cylinders for example) than the prototype and may cause you problems later.

If possible, try a few items of stock, especially an outside cylindered loco (if appropriate) before sticking anything down permenantly.

I am in no way trying to be clever, but I know how I felt when a loco came to a sudden halt jammed against the finished platform edge and I would not wish that on anyone.

regards

Stewart

ok thanks stewart i have taken note of what you have said chap i play to used dressed stone for the walls of the platform and use what the other members have told me to use i have a old green 03 shunter and a few wagons so thats all i got to measure with i have put my pics on the 0 gauge guild gallery if your a member go have a look chap many thanks to you and evreyone on here for helping me

Archived