Bachmann 04 motor problems

I have a Bachmann 04 (31-336A) which is the blue D2258 version. It's had very little use but no longer works. The brushes appear to making contact but absolutely nothing happens i.e not even sparking and there appears to be no way to change the brushes in these motors - they aren't shown on the service sheet as separate parts. Is this motor prone to problems and does anybody know where I can get a replacement (I will be contacting Bachmann but I expect it won't be cheap).

Stu

I had a lot of trouble with the first two 04s I bought (first releases of BR blue and BR black) and it turned out to be the wheels slipping on the axles causing the quartering to be out. This made everything lock up and resulted in new chassis being needed from the shop I bought them from. The motor can be checked directly by removing from the chassis block and applying power directly to the motor pickups - if it spins freely on power application then it would be the quartering. If it still refuses to do anything then a new motor would be likely needed. Be certain that a burnt out motor hasn't been caused because of a quartering issue, otherwise the new motor will go the same way.

Archived