K3 Fixed - finally

Theakerr

I have a Bachmann K3 that just like the real thing was a really rough runner. It would rock and roll and ride up on the track, both curved and straight sections. Did all the usual, including checking the back to back, which was spot on. Then one day looking at the drivers it occurred to me that the flanges were very course. Did a best I could measurement and found that the inside flange to inside flange width was about 0.5 - 0.75 mm greater than my other locos. Take off the wheel keeper plate and I can see that all three drivers are not pressed all the way onto their axle. Basically they were about 0.5mm from the "stop". Dismantled the entire chassis assembly so that I could get at each axle (it was a fun job) and pressed the wheels onto the axle so that they were at the axle stop. Note this operation pushed some of the plastic capping over the axle out. I trimmed this down so that there would be no binding with the rods. Put everything back together and with some trepidation did a test run (code 100 track). Perfect, although the back to back measurement is a bit undersize.

Archived