Macclesfield, Bollington and Marple Railway

Thomas

Spent an enjoyable day walking the Middlewood Way, the former trackbed of the Macclesfield, Bollington and Marple Railway.

Wikipedia gives a potted history of the line, but it is a line I haven't come across it before.

Be most grateful if anybody could point me in the direction of pictures, books ect.,

post-6977-0-62011400-1298494169_thumb.jpg

post-6977-0-17236500-1298494206_thumb.jpg

post-6977-0-31861000-1298494231_thumb.jpg

Bollington viaduct, impressive.

Thanks Tom.

The well known North Staffordshire writer, Basil Jeuda, prepared a book called "The Macclesfield, Bollington & Marple Railway - The Great Central and North Staffordshire Joint Railway" for Cheshire County Council, a 64 page A4 softback copiously illustrated history of the line. The reproduction is a bit grainy in places, but the interest in many of the pictures is considerable. When it came out in 1983 it cost £4.25 and its ISBN is 0904532 04 6. I suspect it is well out of print, although sometimes stocks of this type of publication linger in public libraries, and I recently saw a copy on a second-hand stall at a model railway exhibition in south London recently.

The well known North Staffordshire writer, Basil Jeuda, prepared a book called "The Macclesfield, Bollington & Marple Railway - The Great Central and North Staffordshire Joint Railway" for Cheshire County Council, a 64 page A4 softback copiously illustrated history of the line. The reproduction is a bit grainy in places, but the interest in many of the pictures is considerable. When it came out in 1983 it cost £4.25 and its ISBN is 0904532 04 6. I suspect it is well out of print, although sometimes stocks of this type of publication linger in public libraries, and I recently saw a copy on a second-hand stall at a model railway exhibition in south London recently.

There's a second-hand copy of that available on Abebooks - see first item in list here. There's also a 'print-on-demand' book in that list, which looks like a completely different publication (Items 3-10), though I have to say I'm always a bit leery about 'print-on-demand' books.

(Excuse the prices in dollars - that's my default when searching from North America. Use the 'Convert currency' under the price to get prices in UK pounds).

Archived