Parkside LMS 6 ton Fish Van

Hi

I have recently built the parkside 6 ton fish van but am somewhat strugling with the colour

The informtaion sheet states it should be 'lake undercoat varnished'.

Precision supply crimson lake, but i can find no indication as to an undercoat colour/shade.

Can anyone help me out with advice to where I can buy a suitable colour/or mixing of.

Thank you

David

Hi

I have recently built the parkside 6 ton fish van but am somewhat strugling with the colour

The informtaion sheet states it should be 'lake undercoat varnished'.

Precision supply crimson lake, but i can find no indication as to an undercoat colour/shade.

Can anyone help me out with advice to where I can buy a suitable colour/or mixing of.

Thank you

David

Sounds to me like they are referring to the colour often quoted as used on the ends of coaches. I personally would use LNWR plum and satin or matt varnish it. It certainly wouldnt be a reference to LMS lake unless the van was being finished in LMS livery.

Bit more information may help, I am intending to paint it for LMS running.

Built for express fish traffic, classified as non passenger carrying coaching stock, and "body colour was lake undercoat varnished, this would give a browner shade than lake topcoat'.

So would LNWR plum be a good representation on this basis or would lms lake which has been darkened be a better colour to apply to the wagon?

Thank you for the reply

• RMweb Gold

I don't know if it is right or wrong but following the notes in the instructions you mentioned about it being browner, I mixed about 25% LMS freight bauxite to crimson lake (both railmatch) this has given a browner shade and looks quite good, as I say I don't know if this is correct.

I guess the lake undercoat varnished is therefore a reference to a shade that probably resembled Bauxite Brown as adopted for all wagons by the LMS circa 1937. Initially the Fish Vans were the same crimson lake as applied to passenger coaches, but later vans built around 1940 were built finished in bauxite or lake undercoat .

Archived