Bachmann 37..body removal...failed screw!

As it says above....!

It's a Bachmann Tre Pol & Pen 37 671 which has been fitted with dcc sound, and been running for a couple of years. A couple of days ago it was dead to dcc but it would run on dc. So, a quick look inside to see what decoder it was....and gave it the necessary reset ( write 8 to CV8 ) and back to life.

A refix of the screws, and a running sesion. Today I noticed that the body wasn't on quite right, it must be the decoder wires not nesting properly, so I tried to remove the body and failed.

Five screws have come out, but one in the middle of the chassis just goes round and round....and won't release the body, neither will it tighten up again.

I've pulled on the body as hard as I dare whilst turning the screw..I suspect that the plastic? thread that the screw bites into has broken off, and is whirling around inside.

So now I need some crafty ( non destructive ) ideas to rectify the situation....

Thanks in advance, Malcolm

If you take a piece of rigid plastic (a credit/debit card is good) and gently ease it between the body shell on the side of the stuck screw & the chassis you can use it to apply light but firm upward pressure against the body which should stop the screw rotating freely and give it enough bite for you to remove it.

It may help to get someone to hold the loco and do the unscrewing whilst you do the prying.

Thanks Karl, I'll give this a go...with a thin strip of something which may stop the broken bit spinning around

I should have mentioned that it's one of the screws in the centre of the loco which is recessed into the chassis block.

malcolm

Malcolm - as it is one of the centre screws then if you have dropped out all of the others try inserting the plastic lever into the bodyshell/chassis end nearest the offending screw and gently prying the body upward from there rather than the side.

A second option is to place a spot of superglue onto the tip of the screwdriver and let it bond into the head of the screw- once dry you can then pull lightly as you unscrew and this could be enough to remove the screw.

If all else fails a really big hammer will do the trick - well once anyway :D

brixham wrote: Five screws have come out, but one in the middle of the chassis just goes round and round....and won't release the body, neither will it tighten up again.

Sounds like the head of the screwdriver hasn't located properly in the screw, and you have possibly chewed up the head of the screw.

This might work, buy a 1.5mm flat blade precision screwdriver.

Carefully insert it into the the screw location.

Slowly turn the screwdriver until you feel it lock into the crosshead slot in the screw, then gently turn the screwdriver to release the screw.

Daft it may sound, but it does work, as this is the way I remove any of the fine crosshead screws that hold the body to the chassis.

K9-70

Archived