On My 7mm Workbench

georgeT

Hi, Just re-started my O gauge wagon building again, as l want to build a nice little branch line terminus (Sometime in the future) on the southern region in the early 60s, l have already built two southern tank locos a G6 and a 02, now l need some stock, l have built two SR 12ton wagons from Parkside Dundas, and have made them into the vacuum braked versions, l've looked at loads and loads of photos but they seem to differ in many ways, seems that no two wagons were the same? some say that the grey ones were none vacuum, and the Bauxite brown ones were vacuum fitted, then you see a photo that disproves that, research is great but its a minefeild

post-7716-0-89633700-1298635357_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-84437900-1298635444_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-25810500-1298635506_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-29967300-1298635570_thumb.jpg

George,

My understanding is that non-vacuumed vehicles were grey and vacuumed ones were bauxite in the BR period but I'm no expert!

Alan.

Unfortunately except for a period which began in January 1963 and ended ??? when everything was to be painted freight stock red (BR never referred to the colour as Bauxite, presumably because it was not purely made from Bauxite ore). But yes, before and after that period grey unfitted, FSR for piped and power braked wagons.

As you will know, many unfitted vans will have been converted to vacuum brake during the BR modernisation period from 1956.

The SR used several different brake riggings on their vans. Parkside correctly use different riggings on the Meat and Banana vans.

SR vans illustrated at http://gallery6801.fotopic.net/c1823870.html

You may find some suitable photographs in the freight part of this site http://southernrailway.net/home/index.php

Paul Bartlett

Hi, Just re-started my O gauge wagon building again, as l want to build a nice little branch line terminus (Sometime in the future) on the southern region in the early 60s, l have already built two southern tank locos a G6 and a 02, now l need some stock, l have built two SR 12ton wagons from Parkside Dundas, and have made them into the vacuum braked versions, l've looked at loads and loads of photos but they seem to differ in many ways, seems that no two wagons were the same? some say that the grey ones were none vacuum, and the Bauxite brown ones were vacuum fitted, then you see a photo that disproves that, research is great but its a minefeild

George

I cannot see from Bixley, G, Blackburn, A. Chorley, R. & King, M. (2002) An illustrated history of SR Wagons, Volume 4, Oxford Publishing Co. ISBN 86093 564 7. 160 pages that any of them had steam heating. So the hanging down pipe you have fitted is incorrect. Yes a few had air pipes but they had a different brake rigging. These were used for ferry traffic.

Also, what is that paired V type structure you have added near the centre line? It is not very clear, but I don't think they should be there on a simple Morton (or RCH) vacuum brake rigging with one brake per wheel. There is a single cross link between the V hangers which is also used - as you have done - to take the linkage from the vacuum cylinder. And watch the position of the V hanger compared to which of the brake levers has the dog clutch to reverse the leverage.

Paul Bartlett

Thanks lads for sorting me out, the best thing about rmweb is that there is always someone to shine a light on the dark parts of this fantastic hobby of ours, l'm afraid l was stupid a few years ago when l got shot of all my books and everything to do with railways, (divorce) should have known that once railways are in your blood its there forever, no matter what age you are, thanks to paul l have now removed the steam heating pipe

georgeT

Thanks lads for sorting me out, the best thing about rmweb is that there is always someone to shine a light on the dark parts of this fantastic hobby of ours, l'm afraid l was stupid a few years ago when l got shot of all my books and everything to do with railways, (divorce) should have known that once railways are in your blood its there forever, no matter what age you are, thanks to paul l have now removed the steam heating pipe

georgeT

Hi George.

Very nice models you are producing - I know what you mean regarding getting rid of books - did the same myself years back when i changed hobbies !! - but as you say, its in the blood, so now trying to buy all those books back that we so often need.

Cheers.

Bob.

Archived