Bangor:

LNWR lives on

Hi

My layout in planing is to be based on Bangor in North Wales. A plan has been developed from the 1926 Track plan which will fit into the space constraints of the loft.

I have been researching for a while now but am coming up short on some key details and structures.

Water tank: Was this a standard LNWR structure? I have one picture of the gable end with soem roof detail but nothing of the front.

Coaling shed: Again was this a standard LNW structure? From the images I have it is a twin road and from this I would guess the loco coal wagon side would be on an incline into the building to ease loading into the locomotives

Cattle pens: Any information on these would be helpful as I have no information

Engineers Workshop: Any information on this structure would be helpful as I have no information

Overhead gantry: Any information on this structure would be helpful as I have no information

Stores: Any information on this section of the yard would be helpful as again I can find no information or records

Wagon Repair Shop: I have a good picture from the belmont tunnel end but nothing showing the station facing end of the building.

Any other information people may be able to impart as to traffic which passed through bangor would also be helpful. Apart from passenger traffic what goods traffic went through in this period. Coal for Anglesey, including Loco coal would have passed through as well as mixed goods, but would other traffic such as for examples mineral, fish, meat, cattle have passed through on trains?

I would be grateful for any information people have or sources they can point me too

Thank you

David

LNWR lives on

An historical survey of the Chester to Holyhead Railway by VR Anderson & G.K Fox (Oxford Publishing Co, ISBN 0860932168) has seven pages on Bangor including some nice LNWR period shots. The layout was extensively rebuilt c1927. I will see what else I can find in my library, not sure what period you are modelling.

Lochty, I have the Chester to Holyhead survey book and it does have some good earlier pictures of the LNW days. I have not seen the LNWR Signalling book before so that will be a good lead to the gantry

Larry, that book has been my main source of information and inspiration, sadly there is little information on the engineers yard, buildings and gantry. The other thing in that book, pg49 is the reference to the Bangor district sets of coachs and the "cicuits they worked". this is something I need to read and get my head around and understand as passenger wise there would have been through workings as well as trains which started/terminated at Bangor.

Sixteen, the track plan is a late version where the station has shrunk again but is an interesting comparision, the site also has some interesting photographs

Thank you for all the responses so far

• 1 year later...

Hi David,

My name is Anthony Ashley and I building a shed in Australia to house an N Guage model layout of the Welsh North Coast area, including Bangor. I have covered Conwy and Penmaenmawr, but details for Bangor are much more dificult. The layout will be approx 36'X16', so I should be able to do a faithful recreation of Bangor, Conwy and Penmaenmawr and their immediate surrounds. I am struggling with the same issues you identified in your post in regard to the layout of Bangor.

Were you successful in your information search and are you willing to share that information.

I hope you have been able to move forward with your layout.

Regards,

Anthony Ashley

Hi

My layout in planing is to be based on Bangor in North Wales. A plan has been developed from the 1926 Track plan which will fit into the space constraints of the loft.

I have been researching for a while now but am coming up short on some key details and structures.

Water tank: Was this a standard LNWR structure? I have one picture of the gable end with soem roof detail but nothing of the front.

Coaling shed: Again was this a standard LNW structure? From the images I have it is a twin road and from this I would guess the loco coal wagon side would be on an incline into the building to ease loading into the locomotives

Cattle pens: Any information on these would be helpful as I have no information

Engineers Workshop: Any information on this structure would be helpful as I have no information

Overhead gantry: Any information on this structure would be helpful as I have no information

Stores: Any information on this section of the yard would be helpful as again I can find no information or records

Wagon Repair Shop: I have a good picture from the belmont tunnel end but nothing showing the station facing end of the building.

Any other information people may be able to impart as to traffic which passed through bangor would also be helpful. Apart from passenger traffic what goods traffic went through in this period. Coal for Anglesey, including Loco coal would have passed through as well as mixed goods, but would other traffic such as for examples mineral, fish, meat, cattle have passed through on trains?

I would be grateful for any information people have or sources they can point me too

Thank you

David

Archived