DOVE HOLES TUNNEL

Last Autumn I was video-ing at Chapel en le Frith when during a conversation with a local enthusiast about the ex Midland line to Peak Forest, he said that it was being closed for 6 months from around about Christmas 2010 to enable extensive repairs to Dove Holes tunnel.

All the stone traffic etc would then have to be diverted via the ex LNWR route via Buxton whilst this was going on.

Does anyone know if this has taken or is about to take place.

regards Ernie

I was told the same and that it was scheduled to start in February but I've since been told that there is some issue at the Buxton end that needs to be sorted out before the diversions can start. Any trains originating at Peak Forest Cemex or Tunstead Tarmac will need the trailing loads reduced by around a third and top and tailed between the originating point and Stockport at least. Since I live in Hazel Grove it should be quite interesting if it does happen. In the long term Network Rail ought to think about remodelling the trackwork around Buxton signal box and restore the direct connection to and from the Great Rocks line and install a second trailing crossover to permit trains from either Great Rocks or Hindlow branches to get a clear run up the bank to Bibbington's summit.

Cheers Paul

I was told the same and that it was scheduled to start in February but I've since been told that there is some issue at the Buxton end that needs to be sorted out before the diversions can start. Any trains originating at Peak Forest Cemex or Tunstead Tarmac will need the trailing loads reduced by around a third and top and tailed between the originating point and Stockport at least.

Cheers Paul

There has been some work on the run-round at Buxton recently, not sure what but as at least one train was top and tailed so I'm assuming work was done on the run round loop. I live a couple of minutes away from the line and often walk the dog past it, if I see anything unusual I'll let you know.

• 3 weeks later...

A quick update on the diversion of freight from Dove Holes Tunnel to the LNWR line via Whaley Bridge, the problem seems to be the issue of Bridge 42 at Whaley Bridge where the line crosses over the original A6 road heading out of Whaley towards Chapel. This cast iron bridge is a Grade 2 listed structure and Network Rail want to carry out work to strengthen the bridge but having a few problems convincing the local planning authority about the need to replace the bridge. Full story here Buxton Advertiser from last weeks paper. So for now the only freight on that line is the return Ashburys to Dowlow empty stone trains that are booked to run direct to Buxton from Hazel Grove rather than via Peak Forest and a reversal at Buxton.

Cheers Paul

Archived