OKWB - Ruston LA or LB

As most of you probably know scale and size is no object when it comes to my kit interests.

As such I am always on the look out for something that will exercise the soldering tip and magnifying glass.

I came across this new kit from Brian Madge for a Ruston LB and not only being intrigued by the chassis thought that the kit would present a suitable challenge. So promptly ordered it and was very pleased to see it rapidly delivered OK_WB yesterday.

As you may also be aware I am currently (in the usual stop-start slow-speed steps) building one of RT Models Listers which uses the super micro chassis from a Kato Portram, also OK_WB there is another kit taking shape which uses a standard Kato unit. Although quite a bit taller than the Portram unit it is certainly a small unit. (bottom left in this photo)

chassis_comparison.jpg

The instructions are well illustrated and should go along way in aiding the construction of this kit which for a pleasant change in OO9 is not white metal.

See this topic more as a placeholder for when things get moving on this ...

OK having resolved the LA LB confusion and acquired more photo reference points the build has been progressing slowly, the usual pace when taking multiple photographs to illustrate each step and then trying to document the process in text.

The chassis is complete and runs free but suffers badly from only being 4g weight on its own - no traction.

chassis_10.jpg

(click image for step-by-step)

The most interesting thing about the chassis is that it can almost be done without soldering anything! Just the resistor and wires from the motor :lol:

The body is progressing even slower (well there are more bits to solder together) The nickel-silver body is complete - main brass detailing to follow.

body_15.jpg

(click image for step-by-step)

It is not that this kit is difficult to build - it isn't. The instructions are good (and I mean very good), and it goes together well. There are a few challenges as well as having a delicate touch with the iron and not splashing solder all over the show. But boy is it SMALL !

Archived