7mm Motor and unpowered bogies

Tramlad

Having spent many happy years with 4mm trams, the time has come to make an attempt at "o" gauge trams. I'm planning a modern image Nottingham style city tram, but the bit of advice I'm looking for is the o gauge motor bogie and 3 or 4 trailing bogies I'll require to complete the build. Any help or guidance but be appreciated as I cant seem to find any advice on modern image tram modelling.

Modern Image ('second generation') tramway modelling is a very small niche within what is already a niche market! - I can't think of a single layout based on second generation UK operations. Similarly 7mm scale is a small minority squeezed between 4mm/3.5mm (OO/HO) and larger sizes.

In 4mm you have a few options but in 7mm the only rolling stock available was a brass kit for a Manchester Metrolink T68 (10xx number series) car.

To power a Nottingham Incentro style car the best option would probably be to look at Terry Russell's trucks. I reckon one of the longer wheelbase 4 wheel types in each end unit with an unpowered version in the centre unit would be a close resemblance of how power is distributed on the prototype...

Paul

Just a relevant footnote on the 7mm Croydon model. I have a couple, awaiting a distant future when modelling becomes possible. The recommended motor bogie is an ABC product, with a single axle-hung motor, to fitted at the centre of the tram under the articulation. Such a bogie would be supplied with wheels to Gauge 0 railway standards which aren't the same as the 7mm tramway wheel TLRS-preferred standards [http://www.tramwayinfo.com/Models/Howto/Stand7.htm].

I've planned a different route for powering the Croydon models when built, aiming to scratchbuild suitable motor bogies [one motor per axle, simple H-frame, compensated] for the outer ends of the vehicle, and with a free-running 'truck' under the articulation.

Archived