TTA Belgium

roythebus

Well, I'm not sure if this goes in overseas, narrow gauge, or tramway as it's a metre gauge tramway in Belgium...

Paid a brief visit there this weekend and pleased to see some track renewal going on in the depot at Blier with contractors renewing point timbers and rails. apparently the sleepers come from the Brussels Metro, and are replaced after 15 years. Luckily the TTA get them at a very good price!

There's also track replacement at Amonines next weekend, and further along at the current end of the line at Forge.

the TTA's a typical rural Vicinal tramway, using 4-whell diesel trams with GM 2-stroke motors, ex US Army, WW2 vintage. There's a nice collection of rolling stock from various Belgian systems which have closed, plus a very nice 6 wheel steam tram engine, unfortunately out of boiler ticket, but which is brought out for displays a couple of time s ayear.

Further info www.tta.be

One place I've not yet visited, might be worth a trip when the Val de Passey (just over the border in France) is also running.

According to the LCGB list, there are three steam locos, two (at least one of which is a steam tram) built by Hornu, the other by Corpet-Louvet.

Talking of the Belgian Vicinal, I understand the museum depot at Schepdaal reopened after a long period of closure. (I visited in June 2008, when it was closed, but found a couple of helpful staff on site who took me around). There are three steam trams here, including a Hawthorn Leslie locomotive built in 1917.

There's only 2 steam locos now at the TTA, the tram engine and an 0-6-0 partly dismantled with boiler problems. One loco was of French origin and has gone away, I'll find out where next time I'm there.

I'm one of the 2 English members of the TTA!

It will be a more interesting line when it opens fully to Lamormenil as the last 4km the line rises by a considerable amount and has a horseshoe bend. Should be great with steam!

• 1 month later...

Hello,

Hello Roy,

Nice to meet you here, I remember that we have to meet us ASAP, no problems!

There are 4 steam locomotives at the TTA. And only 2 at the Blier depot: the steam tram HL.1075, in correct condition but not running, and the Corpet Louvet, partly dismantled.

The 2 others steam trams are: the HL.1000, currently at Antwerpen museum, and the HL.1076, dismantled and in bad condition.

The HL.1000, at Antwerpen

IMG_3162.jpg

The HL.1076, during its active period at the TTA line:

photo_089.jpg

The HL.1075, during a presentation in France:

IMG_5590e.jpg

And the Corpet Louvet, during a presentation at Blier depot (with the HL.1075 behind):

IMG_5994e.jpg

Only the Steam Tram are from Belgium. All the boiler are in bad or very bad condition. The HL.1000 had lost its main rods. They are currently on the HL.979, at Schepdaal without our permission. The HL.1076 had lost their axles, one of our previous member had decide to not pay the works done on them. The HL.1075 is complete but static.

The Corpet - Louvet is currently dismantled in order to replace its boiler by a new one, with a major overhaul. But, the current situation is partly uncertain, don't know if we cans continue to work on it.

I hope it's of some interest.

Stefan

Stefan,

Welcome here and what an excellent first post on this forum.

Just a little clarification, please, on your use of "HL" with the steam tram locos. I can understand for "HL 979" at Schepdaal (is it operational again), as it is R&W Hawthorn Leslie 3228 of 1917. However, I thought nos 1075 and 1076 were built by Atieliers de Grand Hornu of Mons (44 and 45 of 1920, respectively) and 1000 was built by Gilain (75/1915).

It is good to see that a number of steam tram locos have made it into preservation in Belgium (sadly still too small).

Hello,

The 'HL' is the Belgian Telegraphic Code to designate a Steam Locomotive, now a locomotive in its generic form).

HK train

HKV passenger train

HKM freight train

HL locomotive

HLD diesel line locomotive

HLE electric locomotive

HLR diesel shunter

HLZ diesel locomotive

This code is already used by the Belgian Railway id some sorts (Signal, administrative document, etc).

7 metric steam tram and 2 standard gauge already exist in Belgium.

HL.303 .... Type 7, heavy type stored at the ASVi museum at Thuin

HL.634 .... Type 7, stored somewhere near Liege, south of Belgium

HL.979 .....Type 19, an english version of the type 18, at Schepdaal

HL.1000 .. Type 18, an industrial engine based on the same design that the one used by SNCV, stored at Antwerpen

HL.1066 .. Type 18, at Schepdaal

HL.1075 .. Type 18, at Blier Station

HL.1076 .. Type 18, at Burdinne Station

HL.808 .... Type 10, on the CFV3V at Mariembourg, south of Belgium, stored probably at Treignes, sometime running

HL.813 .... Type 11, at Schepdaal

Here is a video of the last running train with the HL.808 during a CFV3V steam festival:

There are other interesting video, I have to look for.

Stefan

Stefan,

Thanks for the clarification - so a coincidence that in the case of 979 "HL" can represent a steam locomotive or its builder!

I have a record that HL 634 was (formerly?) at a mining museum at Blegny, is it still there?

Regards,

Eddie.

Ho, nice to see you on here Steamystef, and nice to talk to you in person this week.

Anyone visiting the Ardennes really ought to visit the TTA, it's a lovely typical Vicinal railway, running along the bottom of the valley of the River Aisne. At the moment there's only one diesel railcar available for service, Stef says there's 4 others, but 2 are too heavy for the track, one is undergoing a rebuild at Blier, and the other is still serviceable at Blier but only used in emergency!

It seems the TTA has been going for over 30 years, but membership is rather low at about 70 members, of whom 25 are active in running amd maintaining the line. Anyone visiting needing accommodation, I have a static home near the Lamormenil end of the line if anyone's interested.

The TTA really could do with some British style enthusiasm to give it a bit of a kick start, especially with track bashing. The track is in a rather poor state in places, and a bridge needs replacing between Forge and Dochamps to allow running through to Dochamps again. Membership,s reasonably priced and there's a quartely newsletter in French, Blier Info.

When I was talking to Stef earlier this week he said there was a working loco in one of the museums; I asked if it would be possible to hire it in.

AAAAArgh, yuk was his reply, it's from Vlaams! :O

It must be 25 years since I visited the TTA but it was definitely worth the detour (I was mainly exploring the Maginot Line at the time including the two preserved forts that have working electric underground 0.60m railways) I didn't see any sign of steam at that time but the railcar seemed more typical for a passenger train in any case. Even then the trackbed was very overgrown and I don't think it was open beyond Forges then. I think it was the TTA that finally convinced me to stop hunting for the trackbeds of metre gauge secondaires since I couldn't spot the TTA's from one field away even with its track in place. I noticed that the goods stock had curiously exposed open seats for the brakesmen to perch on.

Your English is better than my French!

Seen the video, sod that if you expect me to volunteer riding on goods wagons. :mellow: You're lucky in Belgiun not to have the Health & Safety police like we do here in England.

I like the 3 way point and the interlaced mixed gauge track.

• 4 weeks later...

It seems the TTA, like a number of UK railways, is celebrating its 40th anniversary this year. I don't think anything special is planned at the moment, but will post here if I find information to the contrary.

It wouldn't suprise me if this line is twinned with one in the UK. I know of others in mainland Europe that are and have 'borrowed' locos for special events.

No, I don't think it's twinned like the KESR is twinned with the Bay sur le Somme in France. there isn't much metre gauge in the UK!

I was in the vicinity of the TTA yesterday, but sadly other commitments meant I couldn't even spare 10 minutes for a brief visit.

A day trip from the UK is feasible, £29 each way on eurotunnel, 0620 could see an arrival at Pont d'Erezee before 1100, and a quick trip back to Calais for the 2150! I managed to get the 2120, but then I drive fast!

It seems the TTA, like a number of UK railways, is celebrating its 40th anniversary this year. I don't think anything special is planned at the moment, but will post here if I find information to the contrary.

No... The association operate the line since 1966. The 40th anniversary was held in June 2006.

The TTA is the second touristic line in continental Europe some month after the AMTP at Pithiviers.

Roy, I can't go for now near Erezee but I'm sure someone can welcom you.

Stefan

• 1 month later...

Well, having attended the AGM of the TTA this weekend, some were disappointed to say the least that steam does not seem to be on the agenda for the foreseeable future.

more important seems to be the need to get the track in some sort of decent order. there's been some spot relaying to get the line approved for this year's operations from Erezee to Forge, but with a 20km/h speed limit; and seeing the state of some sections, even that is too fast.

The Forge-Dochamps section which is still intact needs a couple of bridges repairing as well as some relaying. The last section Dochamps to Lamormenil is mostly overgrown. Though some new track was laid there in the last 10 years, on the last 2km the trees have overtaken the track bed. money has been given by various state bodies for relaying this section, but with the shortage of rolling stock and the section to Dochamps unusabl;e, this is unlikely to happen in the near future.

More's the pity, as the the last section is probably the most interesting because the line climbs some 50m or more in the last 3 km and goes round a horseshoe bend with spectacular views over the Aisne valley.

• 6 months later...

Well, the TTA carries on. they're currently waiting the annual track examination from their equivalent of the Railway Inspectorate. there's a lot of track repairs to be done before the line can re-open for the season. The bridge between Forge and dochamps is to be repaired this year, allowing running to Dochamps again, but there is a motive power problem.

There's currently only one power car available that's strong enough to pull 3 cars. The second is under repair, the engine having been removed for rebuild. I have been helping re-cover the roof and hope to return this weekend to do a bit more.

Work is also in hand to repaint the most important vehicle, the bar car! not a full restoration, but a bit of a refurb to get it back in use and get some more revenue in. I'm restoring the original Bakelite switches in my workshops in Kent. they do polish up rather nicely.

Anyone interested in helping on this nice little line is more than welcome, it's less than a 3 hour drive from Calais, and the local beer is excellent! There's also plenty of reasonable priced accommodation in the vicinity.

• 1 year later...

I've just received a special newsletter from the TTA announcing they've just awarded the contract to rebuild and extend from its current terminus at Forge a la Plez to Lamormenil. The contract has been awarded to a local company with some sort of grant aided funding from the EU.

The tendering process for this has had to be kept confidential as required by EU rules. It is expected the work will be largely completed by the end of 2013 (a seemingly impossible dream to most members). This will involve major repairs to a bridge at Dochamps and completely rebuilding the track base from Forge to Lamormenil. the last tram ran from Dochamps to Lamormenil in 1959!

This extension is about 8km and includes a 180degree horseshoe bend with the line climbing about 150m on the final stretch! It is hoped to have the line re-opened for summer 2014.

www.tta.be

• 1 year later...

More good news from the TTA, on a recent visit to Lamormenil (my caravan's about 400m from the end of the line) ballasting was nearing completion and track laying on the last 400m was about to commence. It's hoped to start services next year if they have enough stock and volunteers, the same problems many railways have here.

• 1 month later...

Latest news from the TTA is that track laying ha been completed to the end of the line at Lamormenil. A ballast machine was hired in and the track levelled and ballasted over the last few weeks and test trains have been run! I've asked the secretary to post the photos here that have been circulated to members.

The extension is from the previous terminus at Dochamps, though this section has been disused for about 4 years due a bridge collapse, to Lamormenil. The line climbs steeply up one side of the Aisne valley, crosses the river and continues up the valley, having traversed a horseshoe curve, to reach the station at Lamormenil, the highest station in Belgium.

Services are due commence in 2015.

Archived