A new face Kiwi Rail DL Class Locomotives

John M

Not sure whether this fits best in Overseas Prototype or Narrow Gauge. Cape Gauge systems like New Zealand and South Africas with heavy tonnage and relatively high speed dont exactly fit within the typical image of the Narrow Gauge.

One of the Chinese built DLs has entered revenue service on driver training between the Bay of Plenty Port of Tauranga and the Kinleith paper mill. On thursday the train was loaded to 43 bogies worked by DL8066 and two older GM locos. The GMs appear to have been shut down and the DLs MTU power unit doing all the work.

post-7338-0-59701400-1299838138_thumb.jpg

8066 and 483 spltting the signals entering Putaruru "Mothballed" former main line to Rotorua goes straight ahead under State Highway 1 bridge the train is coming off the former Taupo Totora Timber Company logging line which was upgraded to main line standards in the early 1950s to serve the Kinleith Mill and Forest.

John

• 2 weeks later...

I find their front end treatment quite similar to these,

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=317048&nseq=0

especially around the cab window area! Interesting that Malaysia actually runs Ng versions too. Too expensive for the Kiwis or just out of date, now?

I like the look of the new locos anyway, heres hoping they are reliable in service.

Nice photo, John!

Cheers,

John E.

I find their front end treatment quite similar to these,

http://www.railpictu...d=317048&nseq=0

especially around the cab window area! Interesting that Malaysia actually runs Ng versions too. Too expensive for the Kiwis or just out of date, now?

I like the look of the new locos anyway, heres hoping they are reliable in service.

Nice photo, John!

Cheers,

John E.

There are a lot of rumours surrounding these locos. The basic concept for the DLs was developed several years ago when the railway was operated by Australian owned Toll Rail, originally it was planned to source the locos from GE or one of its subsidaries. At the time the American Builders order books were full and negotiations commenced several years with Dallian Loco. The Blue Tigers are likely to have been considered hence the similar front end.

At one stage lead times weere so extended that plans were developed to assemble the locos in New Zealand using imported components

The ordering of the locos was initially delayed by a dispute between the operator and Government over track access charges, the Government spent over $700m to buy out the railway side of Toll Rails business, the order was futher delayed by political interference and a change in Government and policies.

post-7338-0-82125500-1300871429_thumb.jpg

Railfreight traffic has largely held up due to high commodity prices and some port rationalisation and approval given for tthe purchase of more locos and stock.

The Chinese Authorities appear to consider the DL order to be a considerable coup, their first to a "Developed Nation' having already supplied freight rolling stock to Neew Zealand and Australia

Hi John,

Thanks for that update! Interesting times!

I remember on RMweb3, there was a Brit (I think!) who was involved with a Chinese loco builder, who were I believe trying to break into the European market. I'm sure it would indeed be a 'coup' if they started selling to New Zealand, possibly followed by the UK?

I'd be quite happy to see such a beast on our rails, as much as I'd rather see a Voith 'Maxima' instead!

Cheers,

John E.

PS Does John Agnew still produce kits for NZ prototypes, do you know?

• 1 year later...

The latest development is that at present the balance of the order for (I think) 20 more locomotives is on hold due to the abysmal construction quality of the original delivery items.

I am not sure how many are actually in service but reports from drivers range from average to "crap". This has of course held up Kiwirails plans to retire a number of older units and reallocate the fleet as envisaged once the new engines were due to go into service.

Haven't seen any in the wellington yard yet. Will they be working their way down here, or am I just blind?

I live in Paremata overlooking the NIMT and have only seen one or two working either light engine or with another loco. No train service that I have been aware of.

AFAIK they are on the Auckland-Hamilton-Bay of Plenty line.

Mind you I think they are the most ugly main line diesel ever to run in New Zealand - but accountants are more worried about profit and loss in the 21st Century than anything aesthetic.

The latest development is that at present the balance of the order for (I think) 20 more locomotives is on hold due to the abysmal construction quality of the original delivery items.

I am not sure how many are actually in service but reports from drivers range from average to "crap". This has of course held up Kiwirails plans to retire a number of older units and reallocate the fleet as envisaged once the new engines were due to go into service.

No surprises there - the Chinese rolling stock I've been close to is shocking. In the bad old days, some of the QJs I rode on were literally held together with wire and duct tape.

Mind you I think they are the most ugly main line diesel ever to run in New Zealand - but accountants are more worried about profit and loss in the 21st Century than anything aesthetic.

It's good to have another wellingtonian on board - Pardon the train related pun. They aren't very nice are they, I always thought our diesels were a relatively good lot.

Does John Agnew still produce kits for NZ prototypes, do you know?

He sold off the NZR part of Railmaster some years ago to concentrate on producing stuff for the North American market.

He sold off the NZR part of Railmaster some years ago to concentrate on producing stuff for the North American market.

You are correct there HSB. His earlier range if NZR Sn3½ kitsets have, I think, seen a further three owners and I am not sure how much of it is still available. There are now several other major manufacturers of NZR kits in both whitemetal and resin in 1:64.

John's major focus is the US market in 1:64 and he has been a regular face at the National Narrow Gauge Conventions.

Archived