Painting a Hymek...

Hi All

I recently purchased a Peco whitemetal Hymek kit off eBay and it is currently sat on my desk, stripped back to bare metal and awaiting a repaint into two tone green. More than likely to be brush painted as I don't have an airbrush, I do however have a few queries..

I'm assuming the colours I need (using railmatch paints) are:

BR Standard Loco Green

Yellow/Green - for the lower bodyside band

Diesel roof Grey

Pre 1985 warning panel yellow and bufferbeam read

All of which seem pretty straightforward. However, the colour I'm having trouble with is the white window surrounds, which I have seen referred to as Ivory white and off white, so what would be the correct colour to use for the surrounds? RM do a Matt white but don't know if that would be the wrong shade?

As it's a whitemetal body, I was going to use the games workshop white undercoat as a base before painting. That shouldn't cause any great problems should it?

Thanks

Dan :)

Hello, I can't help on the shade of white I'm afraid, but I would recomend trying aerosols before a paint brush. I was quite daunted by spraying but it didn't take long to pick up at all and you just need a garage (or somewhere where you can get spray on the walls without getting in too much trouble) I use Railmatch enamel aerosols and they seem to do most colours required. They only cost about £6 per can and I tend to get a couple of locos out of most colours.

Matt

P.S. I've now had a look through the Railmatch and Phoenix Precision range and I cannot find an obvious colour for the white. Sorry I can't be more help.

• RMweb Gold

The 'white' window surrounds on green Hymeks were NOT white (sorry for shouting but this item of livery myth keeps on cropping up in both the modelling media and on some models). It was in fact a very pale grey like colour (possibly referred to as 'duck egg green/grey?) and not in the least like white when you were looking at it from a range of a few feet, or even quite a few feet. But regrettably having said that what I can't manage to recommend is a modelling colour which is close to it although one might well exist.

The true colour shows up fairly well in several images in the Ian Allan book 'Rail Portfoliio 10', 'The WR Diesel Hydraulics' especially on pages 10, 11 (the colour reproduction comes over a little too bright), 15 and 20.

• RMweb Gold

Was the 'white' not the same colour as used for the body stripes on Peaks etc.? This used to be available in the Precision Paints range.

It could well be - was that also know as 'duck egg green or grey' or by some sort of similar name? Possibly the same as the bodyside stripe on the D8XX 'Warships'?

Thanks for the replies :)

I didn't realise railmatch did aerosols, that could make life a bit easier!

I've heard the duck egg/white debate before (albeit over a class 31 bodyside band!) I'm still a bit away from doing the window surrounds so havea bit of time to search for the correct colour...

Archived