Kit Building a GWR 2-8-2T

When the new 'chord', from the S&MJR to the GWR, was put in place at Stratford Racecourse in about 1960, Banbury shed was requested by divisional control to try a 72xx over the line with an iron ore train from Wroxton sidings, with a shunt into, and out of Clifford Sidings, where ore trains were held for a path on the GWR line, - the result being that it failed miserably. Banbury driver George Clarke was that shed's most able with, and who also liked the class, it was found the 72xx could not hold the train on the banks on that particular line, and the point work at Clifford Siding were a severe test for the wheels, one set nearly coming off, the driver taking it slowly, as the fireman walked beside carefully watching, after that hair-raising episode the fireman put his notice in the following week.

I was thinking of their muscular appearance rather than their performance! Agreed, they could apparently be shy steamers, and I've heard that once going weren't always that keen to stop!

From what I've seen, the 2-10-2 tank loco that they didn't build would have been even beefier, having a number 7 boiler. But yes, good luck with your 72xx. I'm always happy to see big tank engines...

Archived