Hornby Blue Rapier

Black_bear

Bought this train pack at a heavily discounted price. I was aware it did not have the same level of detail as the Javelin pack but was still very disappointed with the look of the train although it does zip round my track. The lights are not directional but I am not sure whether the Javelin lights are either. Clearly you get what you pay for. There is no red piping (which appears on the box) and the blue is not a dark shiny blue but a sort of matt plastic blue. I'd like to improve the appearance of this train but not sure where to start e.g. painting it a darker blue, obtaining transfers for the blue piping and the door opening panels etc. Can anyone help?I am new to model railway modelling and have not yet had the courage to start modifying a train. All comments and help greatfully accepted.

Hi,

As you say the set is designed to have not as much detail as the standard Class 395 (may I take this time to remind people, that they are not offically called Javelins, but Class 395's), but it is primarily designed for the younger market and children, so that Hornby can introduce more young people into the hobby. Hence, the much lower price.

I can't help you with how to improve it though!

Simon

Archived