Adding a story (or two) to a Downtown Deco kit

I have a Blog here on the Forum that shows the painting of Adams Ave #1:

Part 10: Adams Avenue #1

Part 11: Adams section 2

I will have it in the corner of my shelf layout, up against the backdrop and it felt a bit too low and it would not really work with the mirror I was going to have where the road ends.....

Here's how it looked in the standard version:

DSC02009.JPG

And how it looks like after the "small" modification:

DSC02035.JPG

I had a side wall from DPM in the scrap box, but no matching front wall, so I made one out of plaster. I cast a wall of plaster and scribed the bricks into it, I then used a file to square the sides of it before scribing the brick texture there as well.

The Corniche on the top is a dollhouse trim (stolen from the wifes stash B)) and the windows are from the scrap box (IHC?).

the remainder is made of Matte Board, a black 1.5 mm cardboard.

I had to paint the new addition to match the already finished house, but as I write what colors I use on my houses, it was an easy task to match it.

The result was rather pleasing to my eye.

DSC02032.JPG

The edge between the mirror and landscape is to be hidden in the best way possible.

I have been looking for front-reflective mirrors, but not found any on this side of the Atlantic unfortunately....

The ones I have found do not deliver small orders from the U.S. as it is so fragile ....

Anyone know if there is some available?

I have made some progress on the buildings, I have got all the doors and windows in Adams #2. I have also built a couple of billboards for the roofs:

DSC02040.JPG

I have also been trying to evolve the appearance of the mirror and Adams #1. I applied some signs and it already fools the eye even though I haven´t tidied up the gap between the road and the mirror yet.

DSC02041.JPG

As can be seen, I haven´t fixed the mirror to the wall either....

I think I can get this to look good with some work.

I ordered a surface reflecting mirror today :D.

I got recommended a US company by a friend (Ed) on another Forum.

Mirrors

I took the plunge and ordered a size that will cover the entire sidewall :blink:, I think it will be worth it!

It was "only" $ 83 including shipping....

Now to wait a few days before it arrives.....

• RMweb Gold

Looks really good, I see you've partially overcome the problem with using mirrors near the signs, I assume that you printed the ACME one in reverse? and that only the reflection will be seen by the viewer?

Edit:- that's a bit more than a 'small' modification, it's a full two extra storeys...

Looks really good, I see you've partially overcome the problem with using mirrors near the signs, I assume that you printed the ACME one in reverse? and that only the reflection will be seen by the viewer?

Edit:- that's a bit more than a 'small' modification, it's a full two extra storeys...

Thanks. It is really hard to solve all the problems with mirrors, but I thought that if I can use some illusions to hide that it is a mirror, maybe the brain will hide all the errors.....

Yes the Acme is in reverse, I have remade the Billiards sign so there is no big lettersd on that and I have also printed out a new Palace sign that says "Hotel" instead. I found a font that have the "t" look the same in reverse ;).

I will probably alter some more when I get the new mirror.....

Well , I think the modification was rather small B)....

Archived