Paul's Banger Blue stuff

Hello all, I dont post very often but thought that I would start to share a little of what goes on in my little part of the world.

First off is a Parkside Dundas vanwide that I built during a couple of days off earlier in the week.

The kit went together well, that should read kits as I built 2 side by side !

I have a selection of books to refer to and found a photograph of one fitted with an 'experimental clear roof'.

Whilst looking for some transfers fir another project I happened across 2 packs of Woodhead transfers and low and behold there were some made up for the very van.

I then found that the transfers had gone off and wouldn't take, I used a piece of carrier film from a Modelmasters sheet to fix it in place before varnishing.

The textured and shaded paint work was achieved by spray painting the body with red oxide primer then brush painting the main body colour with Pheonix freight brown.

Almost straight away I then used a make up sponge to 'dab' the paint off, this left some interesting patterns similar to reference photos that I had seen on the web.

Weathering was done with Tensocrom washes and dry brushed Humbrol Metalcote Gunmetal.

The model is not quite finished yet, buffers need painting, vacuum pipe to fit and couplings to mount.

Considering that this is the first wagon kit that I have actually finished i'm quite pleased.

All I need to do now is keep up my mojo and keep on modelling !

Regards Paul.

post-7339-0-41735500-1300400067_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Hi Paul, can't believe it's your first! I like the interesting mix of techniques here gives me food for thought, the colouring is well observed and how did you get that bubbling effect on the van doors? Well done and what's next? Cheers Phil.

Phil, I've been weathering rtr stock for a while and have a background in military modelling. I have knocked up a couple of rolling stock kits in the past as well but just never finished them !

The effect on the door was kind of an accident I have to confess!

Whilst brush painting the main colour I wasn't happy with the coverage so resorted to dabbing at the surface with a closed cell make up sponge, this produced the dappled effect of faded ply and once an amount of paint had built up on the sponge it seemed to thicken a little and then come off onto the door. Hope this makes sense.

I have to weather the second van next and then I have a pair of Parkside pipe wagons to build up.

Regards Paul.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Paul, I thought you had some experience ;) , I too used to do a bit of military modelling and weathering techniques cross over very well, some have to be toned down a bit tho'! Not many bombed out locos around :D . Thanks for the explanation and the truth is many weathering techniques have evolved from 'happy accidents' . Looking forward to seeing your next project on here. Cheers Phil.

Afternoon, just a couple of views of the second Vanwide weathered this afternoon. Need to sort the couplings out tomorrow whilst at the Nottingham show. A further use of the Tensocrom washes today has further instilled confidence in the quality of the product.

Popped to the local model shop this morning and ended up with a couple of Bachmann Presflows, thank goodness the wife is off out this evening weathering can be carried out without 'I haven't seen those before', sadly the old blag of 'I've had them for years' no longer works thanks to the new packaging !

Comments welcomed :-)

Regards Paul

post-7339-0-32797300-1300466071_thumb.jpg

post-7339-0-72944200-1300465996_thumb.jpg

Phil, yes was another photo. Coupling wise I will probably use small Bachmann couplings but I'm off to the Nottingham show tomorrow and will be looking at alternatives.

These wagons are for a small project that I'm developing and I don't want to use screw links.

Regards Paul

• RMweb Premium

Phil, yes was another photo. Coupling wise I will probably use small Bachmann couplings but I'm off to the Nottingham show tomorrow and will be looking at alternatives.

These wagons are for a small project that I'm developing and I don't want to use screw links.

Regards Paul

Hi Paul, I know you'll be reading this on return from the show so hope it went well. I use 3 & screw link couplings and sometimes wish I didn't, ooh my eyes :blink: . The layout I have planned for the future should really consist in the main of permanently coupled trains with a modicum of shunting with the shunters pole :) . I'm sure you will settle on what's best for you and with good modelling to look at, the couplings don't matter so much ;) . Cheers Phil.

Thanks Phil, After a long chat with several people in regards to the couplings I have chosen to stick with the small Bachmann couplings, 3 links look good, sprat and winkle look ok but I have to consider my eyesight, sanity and the use of the stock on my roundy roundy shed layout, this is to be 9'6" x 5'9" max (Brick built shed at the rear of the house).

I managed to weather 1 of the Presflo's last night and will photograph it soon.

Regards Paul

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Phil, After a long chat with several people in regards to the couplings I have chosen to stick with the small Bachmann couplings, 3 links look good, sprat and winkle look ok but I have to consider my eyesight, sanity and the use of the stock on my roundy roundy shed layout, this is to be 9'6" x 5'9" max (Brick built shed at the rear of the house).

I managed to weather 1 of the Presflo's last night and will photograph it soon.

Regards Paul

Hi Paul, glad you've got that sorted, I've only got a 6ft plank at mo', although it's fully scenic I've always regarded it as a test track for locos and skills. It's also given me experience testing things like couplings and their appropriateness, ie checking the limits of 3 links. All pointwoek is a minimum 48" apart from a Peco code 75 double slip which is a compromise to enable the track plan to fit properly ;) . I think sanity is the most important consideration :blink: . Cheers Phil.

Its been a busy week at work and I find myself home alone wishing i'd booked tonights shift off as well as saturdays.

Here I present a couple of views of an assembled Parkside Pipe open wagon and the first weathered Presflo.

The Presflo is a standard Bachmann item lightly weathered and using Hob-e-tac sprinkled with grey weathering powder that I purchased ages ago from the late great Ric Law of Penhaven Modelling Products.

The Parkside kits are very good and make up well with a little care, I'm about to start weathering and painting it using the Art of weathering method for old wood, wish me luck !

Enough chatter, let the pics speak a few words.

All the Best Paul

post-7339-0-88080200-1301051601_thumb.jpg

Presflo on the layout

post-7339-0-34694600-1301051612_thumb.jpg

A low view of the Presflo

post-7339-0-66464800-1301051643_thumb.jpg

Side View Pipefit

post-7339-0-38794900-1301051651_thumb.jpg

Underside view Pipefit

• RMweb Premium

Hi Paul, these are really looking good, here's one just for you I found a Challenger tank I never weathered!! Ithink there's a brick outside I could chuck at it ;) . The presflo looks just right, could you ever over weather them!? As for the pipe wagon I am wishing you luck! and you will get there. Cheers Phil.

Evening, a quick pictoral update. 3 views showing the paints used to 'distress' the interior of my pair of SOV Pipe wagons. No secret involved, I just followed Marytin Welch's method in The Art of Weathering, seems to have worked well in the flesh but proved difficult to photograph.

Regards Paul

post-7339-0-17926500-1301247257_thumb.jpg

I used these paints for the interior, a mix of Humbrol and Revell

post-7339-0-10878500-1301247291_thumb.jpg

1 of the better views although I feel that the effect and colouration do not show up well on the photos

post-7339-0-15222400-1301247311_thumb.jpg

The pair side by side

Evening all, just a couple of views of my second completed presflo. I dirtied this one up more than the first, modified the factory livery elements and used a different technique. The paint used for the main weathering was a tub of Anita's white mixed with a tiny spot of black and watered down, drybrushed on and then blended with a close cell make up sponge.

I hope that the desired effect has been reached ?

Regards Paul

post-7339-0-87055900-1301346415_thumb.jpg

post-7339-0-24925400-1301346440_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Hi Paul, just thought I'd have a peek at what you're up to, the presflows look great I think you've captured the cement/lime dust just right. As for the pipe wagons, the interiors look right but maybe as you say the camera hasn't quite captured them right, where has that come up before!!!:lol: . I'm sure a finished article photo will appear soon to your usual high standards. Cheers Phil.

Archived