YEA Perch CWR wagon

Does anyone know off a kit for the CWR train wagons, coded YEA aka Perch?

I've got a mad idea to build a CWR consist to go with the autoballasters but need something to start with.

I've got a pile of the old Hornby Freightliner flats that might do as the basis for conversions but would prefer something a bit better to start with.

Does anyone know off a kit for the CWR train wagons, coded YEA aka Perch?

I've got a mad idea to build a CWR consist to go with the autoballasters but need something to start with.

I've got a pile of the old Hornby Freightliner flats that might do as the basis for conversions but would prefer something a bit better to start with.

For the Perch, it's a scratchbuild, I'm afraid. There are some LWR trains that use Cargowaggon flats (as modelled by Heljan) with frames on the deck to support the rolers for the rail- I have seen a model of these by someone. They would have a 'Putler' wagon at one end of the rake to unload the rails- these are modified OBA opens with both ends, and the outer door panels, removed. If you're looking for something to do with the Hornby Freightliners, there are some which have been fitted with mesh-sided containers for use as materials carriers. There were pictures on Martyn Read's Fotopic site, which will hopefully appear in another guise soon- I think they carry the TOPS code YDA.

It is hoped an etched kit will be available, I had researched the prototypes a couple of years ago but issues had stopped my modelling time completely. An inital release of the basic wagon and clamping wagon version would be followed by the crane stabling wagon & crane/power wagon/chute wagon.

This will happen but by when is not certain at the moment.

Cheers.

Thanks to all. I've pulled an OBA out that is soon to meet its razor saw based fate lol.

It the flats are cargowaggon based, do you think I could cut down some of the Jouef cargo waggons rather than spending 200 quid on a rake of Heljans?

An etch would be awesome but I guess i'll have to play with plastoicard till then :-)

If you're looking for something to do with the Hornby Freightliners, there are some which have been fitted with mesh-sided containers for use as materials carriers. There were pictures on Martyn Read's Fotopic site, which will hopefully appear in another guise soon- I think they carry the TOPS code YDA.

There's two potential ones which get general use that might be do-able from the Hornby flats - FDA which are "salmon" track panel carrier equivalents, they run as twin sets, there's FJA which have the dropside modules, they have been converted to single wagons.

There's also a nice drain cleaner rake which is modules on a pair of old Freightliner flats.

Pics are all down at the moment but i've made a start on getting them back online - if you're interested let me know and i'll put those higher up the to-do list!

Thanks to all. I've pulled an OBA out that is soon to meet its razor saw based fate lol.

It the flats are cargowaggon based, do you think I could cut down some of the Jouef cargo waggons rather than spending 200 quid on a rake of Heljans?

An etch would be awesome but I guess i'll have to play with plastoicard till then :-)

Don't go hacking up anything yet! The Cargowaggons would be quite simple to fabricate from scratch. I have built four or five over the last twenty years. I could probably dig out the drawing for you. Buffers are available from Intercity Models- they're a type known as Ringfeders. Not sure where you'd source bogies from- perhaps Howes can do Heljan ones as spares, otherwise there are cast ones of similar, if not exactly the same, type, available from Hurst Models, and possibly elsewhere. Hurst do packs of the various ferry fittings, as do Wizard.

• 1 year later...

Archived