Peco code 75 & Hornby Set Track

Cpt Cheddar

Next numpty question.....

I've had a good hunt around and can't find anything that spells this out.

I'm looking to build a layout based on Peco code 75 track - however for simplicity i would ideally like to use set track for my curves. Is this a no-no???

Obvious problems i can see is the spacing between the tracks, however I'm not basing this on anything realworld so that doesn't really bother me. Main problem i can see it the different depths of the rails - will this cause running problems/derailments?

Yes there will be a difference between the rail depths and this will not be workable. I believe you can buy an adapter/convertor rail to go between Code 75 and Code 100 (setrack) rail but I'm not sure what it would look like.

If you're not really that fussy about the look of it anyway why not build the whole thing with Code 100 as there are many exhibition grade layouts which have achieved a great look with Code 100.

My recommendation would be for you to have a go with flexible track whether Code 75 or not as it isn't really that hard and by its nature allows you to be much more flexible in your design - you can even bend it to the same radius as setrack curves if you like!

I would go with Beacon's second paragraph and use code 100. If space limitations dictate the use of sharp curves, I think you might find flexible track tends to break up. I have had this problem with Hornby/Bachmann flexible track and you would need to be precise about evenness of the curvature. Set track curves overcome that problem and are robust. However, where you can incorporate gentler curves, flexible track is great.

Good stuff thanks for the replies.

To be honest the reason I was going for Code 75 is reliability of running more than anything - already getting fed up with re-railing on the temporary Hornby code 100 I have set up at the moment on the baseboards. Is Peco 100 going to f\re any better? From what i understand either manufacturer makes express turnouts which are better than the standard ones...

I am surprised that you are having running problems with Hornby settrack. Bear in mind that you will have problems with any track if the baseboards are not right and the track laid carefully. I replaced two of my Hornby standard points with their express points and the improvement in appearance was enormous but any improvement in running was only apparent with high speed running.

Archived