Butterley Building Materials

Morning all.!

Whilst having a browse through geograph.org.uk for photography idea's at Southend Airport, I came across this delightful industrial railway..

Cherry Orchard Lane level crossing

1609453_166ceb14_120x120.jpg

© Robin Webster

The shot above was taken in December 1989 and this is how it looked as of August 2007, but I'm sure it wouldn't have changed much since then..

Old Tramway across Cherry Orchard Way

516634_2674d749_120x120.jpg

© Paul Collins

The INGR Website has a few more images from 1987.

The short line running direct from the clay pit to the brickworks was the last brickworks railway to close in the UK, ceasing operations in 1993. Unfortunately, I don't have any more info yet. I've done a quick GoogleWikipedia search and I can't see any immediate information. If I do, or indeed if anyone else finds some, post it here.! :)

Best Wishes,

Sam.

I last visited around the time the 2nd photo was taken too, and was taken back by the dereliction and abandonment everywhere.

I managed to take some pics of this line before it closed - I'll have to hunt them out, but some of them appear here: http://www.ingr.co.uk/cherry_orchard.html. There was an article on the line in the 009 Society magazine back in the late 80s I think - I'll also see if I can dig it out.

Stu

Archived