The ideas phase

cornelius

• RMweb Premium

After a fairly pitiful attempt at the 2007 challenge (not aided by the birth of our daughter halfway through that year) I felt I ought to give this one a shot. Typically this has come shortly after I swore off ever building anything to a deadline ever again. Logistics aside, the main problem I am facing is "what should it be?" Whatever the choice I most likely won't have time to start on anything until the new year so there is plenty of time for pontification.

At the moment I am considering these options:

1. A "companion" for Cranbrook (http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=44545), the O16.5 layout I bought in May. Rather than an extension - which probably is technically cheating and wouldn't be that easy anyway - it would be a separate scene on the same railway which could use the same stock.
  2. A revival of the Cooper Estate Railway (http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=31721), 3' gauge in 1:55 scale which was a false start of a layout a year or so ago. Although I got as far as laying and wiring track I wasn't happy with the "baseboard" bodge so this would essentially be starting again with the same concept.
  3. Doing something with the O14 bits and pieces I have acquired over the past few years.
  4. Something else

1 or 2 would be simple to get going as a good selection of 16.5mm gauge track is available. 3 would require more effort as the track will have to be built, and that is where I have stalled with O14 before although my soldering skills are improved from last time. For all three options stock is in an indeterminate phase between "half built" and "needs TLC" but I ought to be able to pull enough together to operate any of them.

If anyone has any thoughts on the above, or suggestions for option 4, let's hear them.

Archived