Hornby T9 Traction

fungus

My new Hornby T9 can barely manage 2 coaches before the wheels spin. This is because the bogie spring is fully compressed, so there is not enough weight on the driving wheels. I had a similar problem with the Schools, and found an easy way to adjust the bogie. Does anyone know a way to do it with the T9?

Hi Fungus,

The T9 has an extra long pip that the chassis is screwed to on the underside of the body between the front driving wheel and the front bogie. This pushes the front driving wheel up and slightly off the track. You will have to unscrew the chassis from the body and with a fine file, nail file take off no more than 1mm. This is what I did and it now could pull a truck, well at least 9 coaches, possibly more.

hope this helps

Mark in OZ

The T9 has an extra long pip that the chassis is screwed to on the underside of the body between the front driving wheel and the front bogie.

Not quite sure what you mean by that :blink:

The problem that afflicted a few of the early T9's was that the front bogie pivot pin was slightly too long..but it's an easy fix.

The top of the pivot pin made contact with the underside of the loco body,thus pushing the front of the loco up slightly from the track,so that it's weight wasn't being carried by the front pair of driving wheels.

Remove the loco body,and you will see that the central pin on the bogie projects upwards through a slot in the chassis block,where it is retained by a small metal 'collar'.

Remove the collar with fine-nosed pliers,-it is a push fit-,and drop the bogie down away from the chassis block,making sure the spring doesn't 'ping' off into the ether,then remove the spring and put it to one side.

Gently file down the top of the pin,-an emery board or nail file will do the job-,removing between 1 and 2mm [2mm should be the maximum required]. It is worth lightly gripping the upright pin with a pair of smooth-jawed pliers,so that the filing motion doesn't strain the pin,which will snap off if you overdo it.. :(

Re-assemble in reverse order,taking note that the collar has a tapered hole so will only fit one way round ,with the largest diameter hole going over the pin..

Test the chassis with the body fitted on a dead flat surface,it should rock slightly about the front driving wheels..

Job Done!

This the way that it is done in the Hornby service department.. ;)

I hope this is of assistance..

Thanks DS239. That sounds like what I needed to know. I'll try it tomorrow.

You may be interested to know that somewhere I have a rather poor photograph of DS239 taken from the window of a Lydd train when I was in my early teens.

I just drilled a 3 mm hole and filed it square the sid eof the smoke box on mine so the bogie pin could move all it wanted. Also managed to get a bit more lead in the boiler. Also removed the factory fitted weight on the keeper plate and replaced it with a lump of lead whacjed into the right shape.

Archived