The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

House Insurance - Advice Please...

Mickey

Im searching for some of the above and wondered if anyone had any good feedback - particularly at the "slightly more valuable" end of the housing market (remember this is Sheffield, so its probably the price of a flat in London :D)

Ive previously gone solely on price on my various houses, but this one worth more than them put together so a bit of care might be needed this time

TiA

Try morethanpremier.com

If your house is high value and content above the average (are there such places in Sheffield?)

They are a bit fussy and cherry pick the areas. House/contents values >£750K should get you in the door. They give extra discounts for alarm systems (especially if connected to a response centre) - possibly needed in Sheffield :lol:

It works so that you load on all your insurances House(s)/cars/travel/medical/etc and get discounts on the whole for each one added.

They managed to halve our previous quote (which I though was pretty good) from Virgin.

But as with all of these insurers it is not just about the quote - but about the kind of response you get when you have to claim.

[Ed] almost forgot they also insured our principle alarm system - our dogs.

Remember that the buildings insurance is the re-build cost, not the current market value. So many people overpay because they give the wrong cost. Re-build value in Sheffield will be around 60% of the market cost. Around London the ratio is closer to 40%.

Most policies will allow you to add specific valuable items and you will have to declare anything over a certain figure. Pet insurance etc is worth checking, but you can get this very cheaply from a variety of sources at present.

We have been with Norwich Union / Aviva for many years. The only time we have made a claim, we got back everything we should have done, but they did not make it easy, as they use external claims settlement and loss adjustment firms. This is probably true of most of the industry though.

The problem with rebuild vs market is a real one - though it is not just rebuild cost. There are the costs of providing similar accommodation while the site is cleared and rebuilt. This can be substantial with similar properties in the neighbourhood renting for £3500+ per month! and not even providing the same facilities.

Of course everything is relative - just how many properties are destroyed to the point of complete rebuild? Especially if in an area never having experienced flooding. Fire is probably the one risk we all fear the most and which would cause most damage, yet is it really that common that t he risk really reqiuires covering at such expense.

Our previous pet insurance was ridiculously high until we brought it in on this policy, the dogs are old and into their last years yet we have never claimed for them. We have also had internal floods (pipe bursts) and have not claimed for that either. I guess there is a whole issue of attitude on what is actually worth claiming for.

• RMweb Premium

Im searching for some of the above and wondered if anyone had any good feedback - particularly at the "slightly more valuable" end of the housing market (remember this is Sheffield, so its probably the price of a flat in London :D)

Ive previously gone solely on price on my various houses, but this one worth more than them put together so a bit of care might be needed this time

TiA

Not used them but Adrian Flux as in performance car insurers are pushing home insurance hard at the mo, think its a new product line for them so may be worth a look.

Thanks for the tips chaps....

Ive gone for a rebuild of over the usual 2/3 cos house prices might be down but rebuilding it would still cost the same ;)

I dont fear the worst but I know if I dont get it sorted we will have a Tornado, and not the steam engine variety!!

• RMweb Premium

Rebuild cost calculator here:-

http://calculator.bcis.co.uk/

When comparing quotes take a close look at the size of any excess (particularly subsidence) and the scope of cover - does it include garden buildings etc. etc.

Generally I've found it cheaper to bundle buildings and contents insurance together.

Not sure if this will apply to the op, but generally for those with not such high value, it can be more expensive if u tell your insurer you have an alarm because they want u to get it serviced and inspected and then if you get broken into and the alarm wasn't on it may affect your claim. For me the premium was the same for alarm or no alarm but for the premium with an alarm they required the alarm to be checked which would have cost money. We use alarm but according to the insurance it's not connected. Costs no more for the premium but means less hassle.

Archived