North Western Railway

Hello all, decided to get around to starting a topic for my own modelling, which is mainly adapting and kitbuilding.

To start with, I decided to build the NWR's Number 7, known to many simply as "Toby", as I was lucky enough to come across one at a cheap price. Simply repainting it as it was, I got it to a passable condition, but something seemed off in my eyes.

ad0d5fc6.jpg

A quick strip down and spray later, it was in Primer. The previous paint had been quick thick, and as a result it covered up most of the model's detail. First time I'd used primer, and worked wonders with the body.

8fea8fdc.jpg

It then meant I had to repaint it. Going for Humbrol colours, which had been bought for the model. They came out far better than the previous attempt in my eyes, and certainly made it look more or less akin to the Reverend Awdry's second model. (The first was a scratchbuild on a Romford motor bogie, the second was a K's kit.)

26f235ff.jpg

Having done that, I got the bufferbeams painted and added the company's branding to him. The main thing yet is numbering him, as I am considering using etched plates instead of numbers for the locomotives.

4da914b7.jpg

4a48e869.jpg

c9d5724f.jpg

As you can see, he's still missing his number. Very tempted to go down the numberplate route, and order a bulk load of them for current and potential models.

I then put him back onto his chassis, and moved him onto the diorama I've built for photographing OO/HO scale models.

50e79868.jpg

This shot clearly shows the difference in height between Toby's buffers and an old Hornby wagon. Having checked Toby against some wagons of a newer pedigree, Toby is fine as he is. Maybe raising him by about 2mm might help this, along with clearance on the rails.

265f53c7.jpg

Side-on view, mainly to show off the transfers. I've yet to add crew to Toby, so he looks incomplete in my eyes. Also had a suggestion of painting the step holes in black, which I might do. ;)

c5efcd87.jpg

This is my favourite shot of Toby, as it's based upon a photograph I have of a J70. Whilst it matches up well, I do feel the K's kit is showing simplicity compared to RTR. Whilst this may be the case, I feel it's the best on the market, considering the Silver Fox kit is a Y6. (Look at the sideplates)

859a07bb.jpg

This is the last shot for now, as I've now got to sort Toby's chassis. Might just replace it completely with a Halling unit, but we'll see.

Well, I'm done for now, but I would love to hear what you all think for my first decent attempt at modeling of sorts.

Very interesting so far, it looks like an accurate model of the original G.E.R. tram locos, do you know the origin of this loco model?

Was it originally a kit? What is the chassis like and what is a Halling unit like?

Yes, it's a K's kit of the J70 (not a Y6, look at the sideplates) that is currently running on an old K's motor bogie. Body is whitemetal, and normally screws onto the chassis, however I removed this feature as I'm putting a boiler and cab details inside the body.

The Halling unit is simply superior, and having tried one out, is a must get when I have the money for it.

http://motorbogies.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_6&products_id=186

As for a coach, I've got this underbuild as a lookalike but I'm not too sure. Few mock-ups for the forum, active input on appearance is a requirement. Not too sure if it looks right at the moment.

f548efb2.jpg

da20c9a7.jpg

40d7eac4.jpg

It may not look it, but this is very close to scale for what is essentially a side of a toy. The other side is being worked upon so it's within gauge, the toy being closer to S gauge standards width wise.

It's either that or I'll have a crack at building a W&U coach to go with him, dressed up as Henrietta. Despite the current lack of brass kits on the market (last D&S one on eBay sold for £120+), there is a saving grace thanks to Bachmann's US outfit.

lbacu8755.jpg

As you can see, some work it required to remove it's toy like state, otherwise it'll spoil the locomotive. Also underbuild is Elsie, a model of the W&U's small luggage van. Whilst one didn't appear in the books, there was certainly one used on Awdry's Layout ;)

Jack

Archived